Topic: What to do at the GRUB prompt

I downloaded the iso file and burned it to a CD. Then I rebooted and got a GRUB prompt. I'm stuck at this point.  sad

Help!!

Thank you.

Re: What to do at the GRUB prompt

what the problem ?
Hit an option and it will run, like you can (should) see it at the bottom of the screen :-/

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

I think what strick9 is saying is that he/she is getting the GRUB command line prompt and not the GRUB menu for choosing a boot option. This is happening to me, too. I'm trying to boot on a PIII with 512MB. I boot the LiveCD version 0.3.4.7 and get a GRUB command line prompt ONLY, no menu. If I try to do

find /boot/grub/menu.lst
or
     find /boot/grub/grub.conf

I get

Error #15: File not found

If I use LiveCD version 0.3.3.0 I don't have a problem; it boots just fine without going to the GRUB command line prompt.

Is there something different between 0.3.3.0 and 0.3.4.7 that might explain this new problem in 0.3.4.7?

Could you give more details about your hardware, please?
Motherboard+chipset, graphics card.

There is a newer version for the LiveCD, 0.3.4-8. You could try it in a cdrw. Something changed from 0.3.4-6 to 0.3.4-7 too.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

5 (edited by bgii_2000 2007-07-13 04:44:07)

I also have the same problem.  I burned the 0.3.4-8 iso from Windows XP SP2 with Nero using the below mentioned TEAC DV-W58E drive onto a blank Memorex, 52X-rated CD-R disc.  Windows loads the CD and displays the contents of the disc correctly.  After restart the BIOS posts, then detects the CD.  The Live CD loads, in that it scrolls some stuff on the screen and then leaves me with a GRUB> prompt.

Hardware is a little difficult to determine, as I'm running a Dell box, but I'll give it my best shot.

MB: Dell Model 0J3492, Intel i925X chipset, 200MHz FSB
BIOS: Dell, v.A05
CPU: Intel Petnium 4 530 "Prescott" socket 775 LGA, 3.00GHz, 16KB L1, 1MB L2
RAM: 1GB, dual channel, DDR2, at 200MHz, (2 512MB DIMMs by Samsung)
SATA Controller: Intel 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller
OPTICAL DRIVE1: Hitachi-LG GDR-8162-B, DVD-ROM IDE drive.  ROM v.0015 [boot device]
OPTICAL DRIVE2: TEAC DV-W58E DVD+RW, IDE drive
HARD DRIVE: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9, 400GB, SATA, 1 partition (NTFS)
VIDEO: ATI Radeon X800GT

I'd like to use gparted to shrink my NTFS partition, to make room for a separate partition from which I can boot Ubuntu (I have to keep Windows, as I rely on Photoshop and AfterEffects in my day to day work.) I'd really like to experiment with Linux but this is really hangin' me up.

I've experimented with the GRUB prompt a bit.

I tried "kernel /boot/gparted" followed by "boot" which scrolls another two screens or so of information by too fast to see ending on "Kernel Panic" which locks up the system.

I've just downloaded the latest iso file & ran into the same issue.
I used both Nero & Sonic to burn the image to two different CD-RW disc but the laptop could only boot to the Grub prompt.
I tried again with the gparted-livecd-0.3.3-7.iso but the image burning process would not complete.
It might be a faulty image download or some other issues.
I finally managed to get gParted to work by using the gparted-livecd-0.3.4-7.iso instead.
Managed to successfully resize & move the partitions I wanted & rebooted the laptop.
Had to fix the Windows Vista Business Edition with the Installation DVD & after two restarts & a Chkdsk, my laptop is up & running.
Seems like the BOOTMGR error happens with each partition moved in Windows Vista.
Great job & cheers to the team working on gParted.

@ bgii_2000

Could you try with versions 0.3.4-7 or even 0.3.4-6 on a cd-rw please? 
They boot by a slightly different manner than -8 version.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

I've got the same problem with the 3.4-8 version. Unfortunately I don't know much about the hardware on the computer in question, but it's an older laptop (maybe 5 years). Version 3.3-0 works fine.

I'm unble to boot either. with v3.4-7 i get the splash screen with the message with boot. i press enter and it tells me kernel not found. with v3.4-8 i get command line prompt

On the screen with the boot options, you can choose another option. You can use the 0.3.4-6 version, if it boots without problem on your hardware.

If you have further problems, please give us details about your system and the exact messages you get.