Topic: New User Query: Will GParted work on Windows XP?

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I have been searching the posts for a while and have not found a comment that encourages me to use it in that environment.

My school has a SUSE Linux curriculum network running separately from an admin network on Microsoft XP (Server 2003).

I have just bought some Kingston Data Traveller flash memory sticks and my SUSE thin clients will not recognize them. The servers and SUSE fat clients will mount the flash drive.

Kingston support department came back to me and suggested that I use GParted to format the flash drives - so here I am!

Rather strangely, the support guy said that they do not support Linux, but the blurb on the flash drive's pack shows that the pen is compatible with Linux as long as it is Kernel 2.4 and above.

So, to cut a long story short (and repeat myself), will GParted run on XP?

Re: New User Query: Will GParted work on Windows XP?

I haven't seen Gparted run on windows so far... So my answer would be no, you can't run it from xp . But u can use the Live CD tongue

No, GParted rocks with linux. If you need to use it on other platform use the livecd.

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

USB memory sticks usually work with linux, as well as external USB Hard disks and enclosures. Problems come usually from bad design of the USB interface in cheap devices or even motherboards (not always cheap).

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

BTW, 2048 bytes or not supported AFAIK

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

[SOLVED]

Dear All,

Thank you for the polite and helpful responses. As a novice in the Linux world I am greatly heartened by the general philanthropic feel of the forums I have dipped into. I will try the live cd and give it a whirl!

Cheers!