Topic: Creating Partions in Vista

I just got a new laptop with a 250 gig HD and Vista. I was hoping to split the HD into 7 of about 30 gig each. I used the Vista Disk Management to shrink the C drive as much as possible - which is in half. I've then created 2.5 other drives using the unallocated space. That's fine. Disk Management won't let me shrink C anymore it grays that out. I've even tried using diskpart.exe and it won't shrink C either. I turned off the save snapshot but I could only shrink C by less than a gig and no further.

My concern is that I already have data on the laptop so I'm concerned about losing what I have in place.

Is there any safe way to further shrink and partition the C volume?

Re: Creating Partions in Vista

Hi,

maybe it helps to first check the file system on c: for errors, and after that defragment it.

I think that a small system partition for windows can cause problems in the future, because system updates and restore points tend to use more and more space. Furthermore, it is better to have no less than 15%-20% free space, otherwise performance drops and various problems appear. So, if vista is your main system, try to give more than 30 GiB to it.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

4 (edited by cmdr 2008-12-13 00:55:51)

Hi,
Defragmentation is the key to success ! Look here for some further informations.

Regards
cmdr

PS: Maybe you give this idea a try.

Defragmented not long before I tried to shrink it, but not immediately before. I'll try that. Thanks for the advice, guys.