Topic: Problems and questions.

Hello there.

First of all I'd like to just check if I'm posting in the correct area of the forum. Sadly if I'm not, I apologise in advance.
I'm using Gparted to partition (obviously), my C:\  ,(NTFS)  drive into two main partitions. The reason for this is I want to dual boot XP and Vista. I use a PC which comes with XP built on with its own recovery program to reinstall XP. (It's basically a PC purchased from PC world).
My initial questions are, and I apologise if they're silly questions...
1) Using Gparted to partition my C:\ will I loose data such as my built in XP, basically will it format my drive?
2) If after a while I dislike Vista, is there an easy way to remove Vista and its partition from my PC.
3) I've ran into a problem, I believe... Can anyone help me?  hehe...
I've recently downloaded the file "gparted-livecd-0.3.2-0". Burned it to boot, booted her up, went through the initilisation and finaly arrived to the partition screen. Here I attempted to click and drag the partition of C:\  but this would only let me drag the partition to "8 Mib". I'm attempting to have around around 70GB each of space for both the operating systems (XP and Vista) to run on my 144GB Hard drive.

With this post, I've attached images to ilustrate my problems on partitioning.

The following image shows an exclamation mark next to the drive details
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z15/ … G_1672.jpg

The following image shows me attempting to partition the drive but it won't let me drag past the certain value.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z15/ … G_1673.jpg

The following imaging shows an exclamation mark next to my drive, this also contains an error message.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z15/ … G_1674.jpg

Thank you for your time and help!
Matthew H

2 (edited by class413 2007-06-07 13:21:58)

Re: Problems and questions.

I think that the last version of gparted is much better to work with windows partitions.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Re: Problems and questions.

Hemmaty wrote:

Hello there.

1) Using Gparted to partition my C:\ will I loose data such as my built in XP, basically will it format my drive?

If you chose to format it will, if you just chose to shrink , it wont.
It may take a long time, depending on the amount of data you need to move.
Don't forget to make a backup before you do anything !

Hemmaty wrote:

2) If after a while I dislike Vista, is there an easy way to remove Vista and its partition from my PC.

this is not a GParted question : if you format your partition, Vista is gone away. But the mbr is still there, and boot loader broken...

Hemmaty wrote:

3) I've ran into a problem, I believe... Can anyone help me?  hehe...
I've recently downloaded the file "gparted-livecd-0.3.2-0". Burned it to boot, booted her up, went through the initilisation and finaly arrived to the partition screen. Here I attempted to click and drag the partition of C:\  but this would only let me drag the partition to "8 Mib". I'm attempting to have around around 70GB each of space for both the operating systems (XP and Vista) to run on my 144GB Hard drive.

Please try the last version !!!!

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)