Topic: Trying to clone Hard Disc for first time - but.....

Need a few clues as I've never tried this before.

I've got a 250GB hard drive with Suse 10.2 64 bit version on it which is running great!

And i have a brand new - never- touch identical hard disc- on the system waiting for all of the Suse disc to be 'copied'/'cloned' across.

Now somewhere between Gpart and Partimage, I should be able to do that.

However I'm not sure where to start on this task?  I'm fully aware that if I make a mistake I could wipe the Suse drive and that I'm terrified of !

Any clues at to which program to try first and which function best to use on what should be a simple task would be very greatly appreciated!

(A link to the best guide would be great!)

smile

Tim

2 (edited by timmoore46 2007-05-22 19:41:55)

Re: Trying to clone Hard Disc for first time - but.....

I've found a very effective but very slow answer to cloning a sata drive with a bit copier.

G4L = Ghost for Linux

(Update 22nd May - Changed to a 32bit processor (?) and it's 10 times faster and took about 7 hours to clone the drive! That's OK !)

It took 7 days to clone a 250Gb drive but it worked a treat.  I have now built a seperate PC just for that. (see above !)

A google search will find the SourceForge site and its very easy to download an iso image and burn a CD.

Just type ./g4l     (or   ./G4L) and the prompt and follow the instructions.  Very easy.

smile

Tim

PS How come nobody here knew that or knew of a better solution ?  *LOL*

Re: Trying to clone Hard Disc for first time - but.....

the 7 days waiting time is absolutely stupid. God knows what went wrong.... G4L is the best open source (and thus freeware and legal) solution.

For cloning drives i use the Norton Ghost 2003 boot disk. But i don't know if you can buy it anymore...