Topic: Ability to Resize Partitions using GiB as an option

I have been using your great gparted program via a regular install on my Linux box and via the LiveCD.

I really like it.  Congrats.  But there is one feature that I would like to see added. 

When you resize a partition, I would like to be able to choose between MiB and GiB (like qparted does).  I hate doing the math.   (That is what computers are for).

Please consider adding this minor feature.

Rob

Re: Ability to Resize Partitions using GiB as an option

scheduled for one of the next releases. smile

Thanks.   I just realised that I should have been more specific.  I would like to see a GiB option not only when resizing but also when you create and set a size for a new partition.

Thanks again for just a great tool.  gparted is great.

Rob

i think i just add a combo after the spinbuttons which contains all units (sector, byte, KiB, MiB, GiB and TiB)

Whenever you select another unit, the value in the spinbutton will be recalculated. by default everything will jump to the most logical unit for the values in the spinbuttons.

plors,

Did this make it into 0.3.3?  I am creating some partitions on a 3ware RAID5 array.  For best performance, all partitions should start precisely on 64kB (64*1024b) boundaries.  Is there a way to accomplish this in GParted?

Thanks!  This is a great program.

- Chris

I was able to do this from the command line with parted by switching the units to sectors, then keeping the partitions on 128-sector boundaries.  Each sector is 512 bytes, so 128 sectors is a 64k chunk.

It would be nice to be able to change the units in GParted, which would allow this from the GUI as well.  plors, you mentioned you implemented something like this.  When will it be in the general build?

Thanks!

- Chris

Happy to know that. I have sent plors the link to your post, so he can enable this function in next realese... But plors is a bit overbooked those days ...

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

LarryT wrote:

Happy to know that. I have sent plors the link to your post, so he can enable this function in next realese... But plors is a bit overbooked those days ...

Yes, this would be great. Being able to specify the sizes in sectors is essential for properly aligning RAID. and SSDs.

I would like to see the inclusion of decimal units such as KB MB GB TB as well.