Topic: copy of XP system disk failed

I'am using GParted LiveCD 0.3.4-5 and forced VESA.

I try to copy my old C-disk, containing XP system, to a new C-disk. Therefore, I connect the old C-disk to IDE-2 as slave and connect a larger disk to IDE-1 master. Then I copy using Gparted liveCD.

After doing that, I cannot boot from my new C-disk and I end up with a dead system and a black screen saying GRUB. What goes wrong?

Re: copy of XP system disk failed

Well, copying a partition, is not the same as copying a working Windows !
BTW, if I well understand you want to boot from your second hard drive, right ?
If what you say is exact, that means that some linux system was installed on the drive you used to copy windows to it !

So be more descriptive, please...

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

3 (edited by Karel V 2007-03-31 09:44:45)

I have two physical disks. One Disk has two partitions with a working Windows XP installation on the first partition and the second partition used for data. I want to change the two partitions to separate disks with the current disk being my new data disk. So, I changed this disk from IDE1 master to IDE2 slave and mounted a separate disk (larger then the XP partition) on IDE1 master. I used GParted to copy the partition with the XP installation to the empty disk and now I want to boot to the disk with the XP copy, being disk1 in my new configuration.

Karel

Please clarify what exactly do you mean by "copying". If you are actually trying to clone - not copy - a disk or partition, it is a better idea to use special cloning software. Also if you tried to clone and you now have two disks sharing the same SID this is a cause for serious problems. Try and be more specific.

I used the copy function of GParted, which copies a complete partition. I expect a clone, but I'am not sure.
I tried to boot with the old disk removed. Also then the system does not boot.

The problem is solved now by writing the MBR with a disk repair kit on the new system disk.

I have no SID problems because I deleted the old system partition as soon as the new system disk apeared to work properly.

Thanks for your help with critical questions.

Karel

Probably Larry is much more familiar with GParted's internals, but XP is infamous about its MBR sensitivity (hence many Linux distros in dual-boot config over XP have been reported to brake the XP mode...due to changes in the MBR). I don't know if using a more straightforward cloning tool - either commercial (Acronis, Ghost) or open source (Clonezilla) - would be the preferred solution...
If you would like to tinker a bit, try the Clonezilla-GParted LiveCD (just play it safe and work with some spare disk or something... ;-) ).
In any way, better to rename this thread adding  "-fixed" to the title end and also please mention the tool you used to fix the MBR...

Greets