Topic: Error setting disk label

Im trying to install ubuntu 6.10 from the live disk and it goes ok until the partitioning part I get the error:
Error setting disklabel.

Someone help! its a 60gb hard-drive.

Re: Error setting disk label

wildwobby wrote:

Im trying to install ubuntu 6.10 from the live disk and it goes ok until the partitioning part I get the error:
Error setting disklabel.

Someone help! its a 60gb hard-drive.

So far the ubuntu livecd runs a *very* old version of GParted (0.2.5 or so) which is half bugged .... :-/
Try to use the last livecd (0.3.4-4)

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

So Instead of putting the ubuntu livecd in put the gparted live cd in and set up the partitions then go back to ubuntu's cd and install ubuntu?

This might be a workaround wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Now im getting other errors. Everthing works until when it gets to the creating a new filesystem step.

Any tips?

Please could you give details (output, screen shots, ....) How do you want any diagnostic without bringing us info ? :-/

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Same situation, ubuntu 6.10 and getting the same error. First time trying to install Linux so I'm not sure why I'm getting this problem.

200 gig IDE drive that I'm trying to partition/format/install to.
Also have two other SATA drives that are in the system that have Windows, but I'm not touching those in the install.

Drive was formerly NTFS. I tried deleting the partition from windows, recreating it, etc. Same error.

Tried the latest Gparted LiveCD and its not even seeing my unallocated space. Does BIOS setting matter? LBA, CHS, Large?