Topic: Logical drive expansion works and doesn't work?

Below are my specs:

Linux FC6
LSI Logic MegaRAID 150-6 w/ 6 320GB physical drives arrayed into one RAID 5 logical drive (no hot spares) and one ext3 partition. This controller supports online expansion.
Live CD 0.3.1.1

I originally had a 3 physical drive RAID 5 array. I added 1 physical drive to the array, reconstructed it and booted into GParted 0.3.1.1. GParted detected the additional ~305GB without any problems and let me resize the existing partition and it worked perfectly.

2 weeks later I added 2 more physical drives to max out my controller. Reconstruct went ok. GParted does not detect the additional drive space at all, it still shows the ~930GB from my existing 4 drive array. Booted into FC6 and fdisk /dev/sda1 shows the logical volume's capacity at ~1600GB, which is correct. Controller BIOS also reports the array is healthy.

Anyone have any idea why GParted worked on the first expansion and not the second? Does it have a capacity maximum?

Thank you for any guidance you can offer.

Re: Logical drive expansion works and doesn't work?

Leisle, could you please try the last version of the livecd and tell if it makes any changes ?
thx !

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Thank you for the quick response Larry. Looks like I accidentally posted in the wrong forum...sorry about that.

Well, I'm half way there now! 0.3.4-4 sees the full capacity of the logical drive, but when I resize it to anything over ~1,050,000MB, I get error "A partition cannot have a length of -1 sectors". If I only increase it up to ~1TB or shrink it it seems to accept the operation, but I obviously didn't execute the job. I noticed another thread back in December '06 with the same error but it was an older release and the OP never posted back if his problem was resolved. Again, the partition I'm trying to expand is ext3.

Any ideas? Thanks again.

Yes  : this is a bug, or kind of.
I think GParted is limited ATM to 1TB or something.
Feel free to file a bug... I wonder if there is not already something about that point.

thx smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)