1 (edited by voltere 2007-03-21 13:52:36)

Topic: [SOLVED] trying to save a screenshot in gparted ...

when i copy the file to my usb disk and then try to open it in winxp - winxp doesnt recognise the file system and wants to format it. is there anyway of copying the screenshot from gparted and posting it on to the forums?

this is the screenshot from windows

i have an 80gb disk used by winxp only previously the disk was split c:20gb - d:60gb. i resized d: to 35gb and moved it to the right.

now i want to resize c: into the empty space created. how do i do this in gparted?

thanks

Re: [SOLVED] trying to save a screenshot in gparted ...

I wonder what file it is ? Screen shot is .jpg, so it should be available by any picture soft !
BTW : http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

thanks for the reply

i think when i copy the jpeg from the /root to /dev/sda linux changes the filesystem on the usb disk and then windows cant read it.

i read the docs but it doesnt show how to fix the problem.

the problem is that as in the screenshot there is unallcoated free space but in gparted it also has a border around the unallocated space. this is what stops the c: or /dev/hda1 from being resized to the right.

This is probably the extended partition area.
Click this partition or double-click it and it should load, or right-click it and delete it if it is what you want to do.
Try to find out the screen shot. If you copy from /root to /dev/sda; I am sure you didn't copy anything, since you should first mount your key /dev/sdaX (where X is a number, probably 1), on /mnt/usb/. then copy from root to /mnt/usb. And umount it.

Larry
GParted-project Admin

LarryT wrote:

This is probably the extended partition area.
Click this partition or double-click it and it should load, or right-click it and delete it if it is what you want to do.

thats the obvious thing to do ! but it doesnt work

LarryT wrote:

Try to find out the screen shot. If you copy from /root to /dev/sda; I am sure you didn't copy anything, since you should first mount your key /dev/sdaX (where X is a number, probably 1), on /mnt/usb/. then copy from root to /mnt/usb. And umount it.

Heres the screenshot.

You have to shrink the extended partition and THEN move the first win one. It is *exactly* explained in this doc : http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/tips/gfs.htm

Larry
GParted-project Admin

thanks Larry

maybe you could create a manual including all the different documents in one pdf?

voltere wrote:

maybe you could create a manual including all the different documents in one pdf?

well, the problem is .. I am the only guy working on this livecd , atm. The real problem is : lack of time wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin