Topic: Booting fom Live CD

Downloaded gparted-livecd-0.3.4-1.iso.
Burned disc.
Tried to boot.
Selected keymap - no prob
Selected language - no prob
Boot continues then suddenly display replaced by red/orange rectangle carrying 'out of range' message and all processor/disk activity ceases.

Any ideas as to what might be the cause ,
what info do you need about my PC

Chrisser

Re: Booting fom Live CD

HM, dunno how come.
Maybe frae buffer ...
Which is the model of your video card ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

NVidia GeFORCE N 64MB

I am running GeForce 5500, and have no problem :-/
.... no idea atm sad

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Tried gparted-livecd-0.3.4-0.iso
Selected lowest frame buffer available
Same result ... ?

Noticed there appears to be a message [error?] of some sort before display blanks
but running too quickly to read it or 'pause' it ...

Do you have the bash ?
If yes, try to see what dmesg returns.

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Greenhorn as far as Linux is concerned.
Only latched onto GParted as possible 'quick-and-easy' solution to shifting space around on 'Windows XP' partitioned drive.
Was hoping for no-fuss boot, do the job, file disk for possible future re-use ...

Persevered and, finally, got boot to the bash by selecting 'Intel' boot option under gparted-livecd-0.3.4-1

Last message in boot sequence:-
* Creating X Configuration ...
Video is nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x1], using Xorg(vesa) Server
Monitor is Generic Monitor, H:28,0-96.0kHz, V:50,0-75.0kHz
Using Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
* Starting local ...

followed by a GParted-Livecd display message - Available console tools, Warning about mounting on /mnt and ...

* X.Org : You need graphical environment ...

then suggesting I run 'Forcevideo' script using VESA and 1024x768 options

Help !

Further info ...

dmesg produces massive report.
The first questionable thing I spotted was:-

"Time:  tsc clocksource has been installed.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 404k freed
attempt to access beyond end of device
hda2: rw=0, want=66, limit=2
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hda2, iso_blknum=16, block=32
ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
nbd0: Attempted send on closed socket
end_request: I/O error, dev nbd0, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device nbd0, logical block 0
Buffer I/O error on device nbd0, logical block 1
Buffer I/O error on device nbd0, logical block 2
Buffer I/O error on device nbd0, logical block 3
Buffer I/O error on device nbd0, logical block 0
end_request: I/O error, dev nbd0, sector 4294965120
nbd1: Attempted send on closed socket
end_request: I/O error, dev nbd1, sector 0
nbd2: Attempted send on closed socket"

The last few lines then repeat climbing thru nbd3 to nbdX [forgot to note the highest number]

Does this help diagnosis ?

First : the error about /dev/nbd has been fixed in last release.
BTW, i have added as many video drivers as i could find in this last release.
So i guess the best is to try the last iso, and then come back if it fails : this way we are sure nothing strange happens.

Okay ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin

downloaded gparted-livecd-0.3.4-2.iso and burned disc

Same symptoms as before ...
only Intel boot option works to get the bash ...

Final line of dmesg output now reads

spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7

oops forgot to clarify

dev/nbd messages gone as you said ....

you're running Pc or laptop ?
This is weird anyway !

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Hi again Larry ...

Desktop PC
AMD Sempron 3000+ 1.80GHz
384 MB RAM
2 X IDE hard disks 1 x 80 GB [in 4 ptns] 1 x 40 GB [in 2 ptns]
video card as mentioned
17" VESA LCD monitor by AVIXE
Realtek AC'97 audio
Tevion USB graphics tablet
USB light mouse
PS/2 standard keyboard
USB Epson printer
USB Tevion scanner

anything else ?

I think the problem comes from LCD. I dunno how to fix this problem :-/

Larry
GParted-project Admin

16 (edited by briton 2007-03-14 03:16:50)

A year later and

gparted-livecd-0.3.4-2.iso

won't complete the startup. I would send info, but it doesn't give me any (black screen, hard disk LED alight for 3-5 minutes, then nothing forever).

What's "bash"? (apart from a party or what a caveman does with a club)

AMD Athlon XP 2800+
RAM 2GB+
Two HDDs: Maxtor 200GB and HGST 80GB both been partitioned by RPM and no problems multibooting all sorts of things including switching the disks to put Vista on the big new one and leave the other OSs on the smaller one. (XOSL to multiboot). None of that should matter to the CD boot which starts ok and the only error seemed to be that it couldn't find my DHCP server (which is on my VoIP Adapter this side of my DSL modem/router) but why your LiveCD would want to use my LAN or WAN connections makes me wonder what you wanted it to do!

Any ideas? We are testing your GParted along with a host of other solutions for moving the XP partition after a Vista install. The others are all getting further than GParted, but GParted looks more promising for the follow-up actions required to ensure all OSs get back to being bootable. If I can't get this thing started, I can't test it and the other solutions will throw up a winner and leave GParted out in the cold.

Could you try 0.3.4-1 ? I made some changes between the two version, and maybe this could explain ...
Thx !

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Briton,
bash means shell. Is it enough ?
I am touched by your interest to GParted-livecd. Nevertheless, you must know I take from my free time, and I do what i can (which is usually my best, :-p), to make this livecd as good as possible. Most of the problems come from kernel configuration. I wait some info from gentoo, that would arrive from one minute to another.
so be patient, and it will do the trick smile

I will try to make some changes and built beta iso. Please have a regular look at http://gparted.free.fr/beta ! See NOTES and try beta's.
I will add some special comment for wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Briton,
I am currently building a new beta with a new option at prompt
See in some hjours if it has been uploaded to beta directory i mentioned above.
At prompt type F2 to see options.
So you have to try "nofb" at prompt (without the quotes), then hit "enter".

Larry
GParted-project Admin

LarryT wrote:

Briton,
bash means shell. Is it enough ?

Yes thanks. What you might like to consider is that people who download ONLY the live cd version may not have ANY other types of Linux OS or software or certainly may not have much experience. For instance, we keep one Linux partition out of 12 different OS versions across the LAN and that is only because we want to check whether other OSs or software mess it up.

My point is only that your live CD is a GREAT project but will probably attract a lot of users who know nothing about Linux. This is GOOD because you get a much more thorough testing (testing by idiots lol) without any "clever tweaking to get it working" but BAD because the "testers" are ignorant/intolerant. I like what you are doing which is why I am burning CDs of these versions!

LarryT wrote:

I take from my free time

C'est absolument compris! (I think that's right wink )

LarryT wrote:

I will try to make some changes and built beta iso. Please have a regular look at http://gparted.free.fr/beta ! See NOTES and try beta's.

Actually I am going to try reverting to 0.3.4-1 and try that. If it gets started, before I do anything else and while the configuration is all the same, I'll try your new beta with the nofb parameter.

Thanks for the quick and very useful responses.

If you can, sometime it would be good if you could add a "bug dump" parameter which allows me to dump to a USB drive. (I assume that sometime, this iso will be able to be put on a bootable USB drive - I use them with a DOS boot all the time for the partition and boot loader stuff now that the BIOSs are managing them OK. I realise that's in the future as it would require some choice of where to dump!)

Briton,
To boot off usb, just copy *some* files from the iso or from the cdrom you burnt and voil

Larry
GParted-project Admin

OK. I tried with the 0.3.4-1 and got a similar result. Before I move on to yet another version, I am wondering about video. As I don't recognise any of the options for the video, I left it at default and I can't find those options in the documentation as the documentation seems to refer to earlier versions. I don't like greater than 800x600 anyway - can't think why you made it insist on higher for non OS displaying, but I know I can use higher so that isn't the issue. The particular PC I am testing on has ATI Radeon 7000 (64mb) with an old HP Pavilion 15" monitor. Which of the video options should I try?

I can test whether it is ONLY failing to display rather than hanging if someone can give me the EXAXT keystroke sequence I should use (if different for different versions, then please specify which for which) to QUIT from GParted/Gnome and all (presumably it goes to reboot if you quit it all). The keystroke sequence must be the exact sequence from the point at which GParted finishes booting/loading/starting WITHOUT any possibility that I will do a blind repartition etc.

Any ideas? If I get that, I can hit the keystrokes and if it reboots then it is only a video problem. After all, once GParted starts, the hard disk will stop and the program will wait for me to tell it to do something. If I can't SEE that it got there, it may only be a video problem!

LarryT wrote:

Briton,
To boot off usb, just copy *some* files from the iso or from the cdrom you burnt and voil

Come one briton ! there is no need to go to High school to guess files used on cdrom are used too on usb live. In fact there is just one different file. But it has been put on the cd since it doesn't hurt !
So if you have the livecd, just copy the files mentioned on the doc, to the key.
If your key is already able to boot off, go ahead.
Quite easy, isntit ? Copy the files from livecd to the usb box (not the directories but contains of -- like mentioned in the doc --, and the fun begins wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin

OK Larry. I knew I could use the same technique as creating a bootable CD for creating a bootable USB stick, but DOS won't do it and the Linux partition isn't on this PC. Surely you aren't telling me I can boot into DOS and THEN those files will run? I'll try it, but I am betting quite a lot of beers it won't work! big_smile

Forget that. I hope this isn't my mistake but maybe my misunderstanding. Both 0.3.4-1 and 0.3.4-2 now get started so it was a video problem.

I tried the other video options and i810 and Intel got error messages - but ABOVe the error message it showed that it was correctly identifying the Video card and using the correct generic monitor ID. So I have no idea why "default" start didn't work. I had assumed the default was VESA but assuming is usually a mistake.

vesa worked for both versions.

A couple of points you might like to consider for future versions:

1. This is the only bootable CD I have made which does NOT offer the option to boot from CD/DVD as the "other" option - the default being to boot from hard disk. Could you include that in a future version? It saves pulling the CD every time between uses!

2. If a user arrives at the error messages as I did, he gets

gparted ~ #

Now I am assuming that is the command prompt but not everyone will know if they are used to ONLY seeing something like:

c:\

Not a big deal, but if you want them to do something after that (like "quit" for instance lol), it would be useful to have something telling them what to do.

3. Again from the command prompt, of course I tried "help" which was great EXCEPT that it scrolled off the top of the screen so the first (important) lines of help are missing. Now a DOS user might now about "/p" or "more" - what does a Linux user know? Just a thought because Pause doesn't work at the speed this thing goes and I have a feeling this is where your GNU Bash is mentioned.

Anyway, now that I can start, back to the 0.3.4-2 version and actually do some testing! Already I notice that it is incredibly slow compared, say, to something like RPM which INSTANTLY comes up with the partition/MBR information on all hard disks and USB drives with no discernible delay. Of course, that is a text only interface, but your "scanning" takes a long time. Any reason for this that I don't know about? Is that normal? Every other linux application I ever tried even beat DOS.

Pages 1 2 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

GParted forum → Live Media → Booting fom Live CD