Topic: RAID and GParted *** informations***

Some of you have report problems about RAID.
ATM GParted doesn't support RAID !
As soon as libparted will support raids, GParted will...

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Re: RAID and GParted *** informations***

Doesn't "support RAID"?  I wouldn't think that it _has_ to support RAID.  Fundamental to the RAID controller and its driver is that the RAID volumes are presented in exactly the same way as they'd be presented if the underlying hardware were not RAID.  Thus, software manipulating partitions does not care - and does not know - about the fact that the volume is on a RAID array.  The RAID controller and its driver handle everything, transparently, related to the fact that the underlying hardware is RAID.

Am I right or am I completely ill informed?  Any comments are welcome.  Thanks.

David

The RAID controller and its driver handle everything, transparently

David, i don't know many things about raid. but I wonder if the problem comes here : its driver ! since there is no driver it is not very transparently.
I know that ITE828x and Y-893 unitek raid cards work, since I use them. But I don't use any RAID function : IMHO, I think here is the difference...

Larry
GParted-project Admin

I have no problems w/ other Linux builds seeing the RAID's, TrueImage for instance.

Is it a matter of just getting the drivers into the LiveCD or does it have to be included into the libparted portion of code?

jgpa : I don't know atm...

Larry
GParted-project Admin

try :
# cat /proc/mdstat

Larry
GParted-project Admin

I dont know if the Live CD yet supports RAID yet For Installing Windows 2005 Media Center Edition and useing GParted Latest Live CD before installation I came upon some strange effects.

Motherboard : ASUS Extreme Stryker
Hard Drives  : Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA idcode-ST3500630AS

I set up a RAID-5 array in the BIOS Raid setup, useing 5 disks and had a 6th nonRAID disk. When I was useing GParted it could not see the Array yet I was able to partition all disks in NTFS. When I started the Windows installation, installing the latest drivers and controllers from ASUS, during the partitioning I had 3 options. 2 NTFS partitioned drives both non-Array, one being drive c and the other drive e (the cd drive being drive d), and the array as drive f. I did select the Array and it took 35 second to a minute to format the array in NTFS. After that was done I was a bit scared to continue so I shut it down.

Is what I did ok and I should continue on or was that not something I should do? Also If Live Cd does support RAID, what is the link to tech me on how to use it?

[SOLVED]
I made it work after all. I used GParted to set all drives in the Array to NTFS. I set the flags for each Array disk; Boot and RAID. Apparently RAID-5 needs a non arrayed disk to set a few boot files includeing the MBR. I dont think there would be the same problem in a level 1 RAID.

Thanks

Just installed on a SAS Raid 0 onto two disks in mirror.
It works great!

Heya All,

I think what is being said here is that GPartEd as a standalone product does not support RAID. The "cure" for this is to use the LiveCD, which does have a library of drivers for RAID controllers on it. I have used the LiveCD on multiple servers with various RAID controllers with excellent results. If the right driver is loaded, the RAID is transparent, i.e. you don't see anything but the partitions on the RAID array as you would in, for example, Windows Disk Manager. In my experience, if the LiveCD boots your server and the GParted runs and shows you the same "drives" (partitions) you see in My Computer (or your OS file browser) then you should be good to go. If you don't see the same things you see in your OS, then probably your RAID controller is not supported and you shouldn't try any operations on your drives.

Regards,

Chumley

Hi,

today I tried to use GParted live USB to resize my raid devices (linux software raid). However, mdadm for raid management was not present in the path, so I copied an mdadm from another source to my USB key and used it instead. As mdadm is rather small, could you include it by default in the GParted image and put it into the path? It would ease occasional management of raid devices on Linux. No need to build a fancy gui around it wink

Thanks,

Georg

12 (edited by julia1979 2009-02-27 23:03:29)

I'm trying to use GParted to increase a C partition on a Windows Server 2003 with RAID 5. I've been reading procedures that are horror stories and on the other side simple procedures. I have a DELL CERC SATA RAID Controller.

Does GParted support RAID 5? Will it be smooth as if I was working with no RAID? What's the recommended procedure?

Thank you so much!

13 (edited by sys-eng 2009-02-28 03:13:49)

I tried Gparted Live for the first time today on a PC with a 3ware 9650 RAID controller in Mode 1.
It worked quite well resizing and moving partitions on the same "logical devices".  The problem is that Gparted sees the drive as 2 storage devices - sda and sdb.  The "C" partition is seen as a drive and the rest of the partitions are seen as another drive.  I cannot increase the size of "C" (sda) because Gparted sees the unallocated space on a different drive (sdb).  Windows XP also shows "C" on Disk 1 in the storage manager and the other partitions on Disk 2.   The controller has no formatting or partitioning utilities so whatever happened in the formatting of these partitions was done by XP.

I really do not know if this problem is related to the RAID controller or not.  You will just have to try it to find out.  It does appear that if sda had unallocated space, then I coud expand the "C" partition.

Device              Partition    Size  File System    Comment
/dev/sda (25G)    /dev/sda1     25    NTFS             “C"

/dev/sdb (273G)                      24   unallocated
                         /dev/sdb1       5   NTFS             paging
                         /dev/sdb2    244   extended
                         /dev/sdb5    244   NTFS              data

For more details, see my thread from today on the gparted Live forum.

IT would be better to make a new topic for each problem.

julia1979
GParted supports fully hardware RAID controllers (level 5 as well as other RAID levels). It doesn't support software RAID solutions. I think DELL CERC SATA RAID is software.

You can check if GParted detects your system, with the latest GParted livecd. If if detects a drive with your partition(s), then most probably it could work too. If you just see 2 independed drives or nothing at all or no partitions, then it can't work with this configuration.

sys-eng
I already sent a reply to the specific topic.
smile

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Thanks! I followed your recommendation and used the Gparted LiveCd and it detects only one disk with the two partitions so I guess I should be good to go and increase the space on C drive.

Thank you so much! smile

I use the gparted live cd version 0.3.9.4
It doesnt seem to detect my 2 drive RAID-0 array.
The array is properly partitioned and runs vista ultimate.
The live cd doesnt show any partition(all NTFS).
By the way my motherboard is Intel DP35DP (so intel raid drivers).
does the latest version supports it??

@a_mall
Please, try the latest testing version 0.4.4-1. It is the first version that supports this kind of controllers.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

sys-eng wrote:

I tried Gparted Live for the first time today on a PC with a 3ware 9650 RAID controller in Mode 1.
It worked quite well resizing and moving partitions on the same "logical devices".  The problem is that Gparted sees the drive as 2 storage devices - sda and sdb.  The "C" partition is seen as a drive and the rest of the partitions are seen as another drive.  I cannot increase the size of "C" (sda) because Gparted sees the unallocated space on a different drive (sdb).  Windows XP also shows "C" on Disk 1 in the storage manager and the other partitions on Disk 2.   The controller has no formatting or partitioning utilities so whatever happened in the formatting of these partitions was done by XP.

I really do not know if this problem is related to the RAID controller or not.  You will just have to try it to find out.  It does appear that if sda had unallocated space, then I coud expand the "C" partition.

Device              Partition    Size  File System    Comment
/dev/sda (25G)    /dev/sda1     25    NTFS             “C"

/dev/sdb (273G)                      24   unallocated
                         /dev/sdb1       5   NTFS             paging
                         /dev/sdb2    244   extended
                         /dev/sdb5    244   NTFS              data

For more details, see my thread from today on the gparted Live forum.

This is an update to maybe help others.  I discovered that the strange partition naming was caused by USB ports.  When I disconnected the multi-card reader from the motherboard, I was able to manage the partitions and resize them.

19 (edited by ir0ck 2009-10-24 05:44:00)

Holding my breath and backing things up, I'm diving in. I have a promise PATA raid .. 1 TB and 0.4.6 recognizes the partitions. (downloaded 10-23-09) It looks great so far. Crossing Fingers. cool

20 (edited by ir0ck 2009-10-24 07:02:43)

Voila ! Worked like a champ. My hats off to the Developers of this fine program !! Thanks big_smile. XP SP3 100GB NTFS partition reduced to 65GB So I can install Windows 7 Dual Boot without messing up my boot disk. It ckdisk'd the C: drive on 1st reboot, then needed 1 more reboot for a "new device". My original OS booted just fine 3rd reboot. It even made the new partition usable. WOW !

Promise Fastrack 100 (actually a modded drive controller to do Raid 0 or 1, I use 0 for speed) 2-500GB Seagate Pata Drives for 1GB. Not bad for a PATA controller thats 2000 vintage big_smile

I do regular backups but this setup go's and go's for around 3 years without a hiccup. Probably longer but I use it a LOT.

With the release of GParted 0.5.0, RAID systems now supported include:
      - Hardware RAID
      - Motherboard BIOS RAID (also known as Fake RAID - dmraid)
      - Linux Software RAID (mdadm)