Topic: Support for S3 Trio 3D/2X graphics card ?

I'm not getting into GUI via startx so I assume the above  card is not supported on the account of it being so old ! No probs though I get into flux by editing the xorg.conf file and adding the "vesa" driver. Any plans for including the relevant drivers at a later date ?

cheers,
TBF

Re: Support for S3 Trio 3D/2X graphics card ?

could please try to reboot and type
vesa
at prompt, and tell me if it does the trick, please ?
(It forces vesa driver to be used)

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Sorry for the late reply Larry. I typed "vesa" at the boot prompt and it went straight into fluxbox. It bypassed command line.  I did see a message that it was going to enter run level three but  it carried on to flux.

So it sounds good !
Did you try last version ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin

I am using 0.3.3-7.

gparted-livecd-0.3.4-0.iso is the latest. Has my problem been resolved with this release ?

yes it should ! Yes, i have added the s3 video driver.
Please tell me how it works !

Larry
GParted-project Admin

I downloaded and burnt the new image. No such luck with booting into the GUI. I get the same errors as before. I still have to manually edit xorg.conf by adding "vesa"" in the Driver line before I can get into fluxbox.
Hope this helps

TBF

So, i really dunno how come ATM.
Anyway, you can guess it is not so easy to find drivers and sometimes weird thinks happen.
At prompt you may type "vesa", to force the use of vesa.
If you forget to do this, you can run FOrcevideo at shell, and set the vesa driver and then startx smile
I think you can be happy that it works, in spite of this*little* problem, dont you think so ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin

9 (edited by Techno_BF 2007-03-06 01:44:24)

Oh Absolutely Larry. I do not mind typing prompt at boot time.  I appreciate the video card is very old. The fact that I can get into the GUI and run gparted with no problems is excellent. There is one minor cosmetic problem. If I have a terminal open and do "ls" on a directory containing lots of files it takes a very long time to list the files. I can see the screen scrolling down very slowly. I think this may have something to do with refresh rates ? When I move a window across the screen it moves very slowly.

Cheers again
TBF

ps: You are doing a tremendous job. The livecd is an invaluable tool for any linux / windows user and the fact that you are sorting all the bugs / patches out yourself is most commendable !

I will have a look at this problem.
Could come from something else i think...
Does the "docache" works during the boot process ? Or is there cdrom access when you list files ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin