1 (edited by sdrubble 2007-02-28 00:49:23)

Topic: Garbled monitor - gparted-livecd-0.3.3-7

Hello !

Have been a happy GParted LiveCD user for a number of versions, last one succesfully used was 0.3.3.0.

Now with 0.3.3.7 I'm getting a garbled monitor image (I can see the desktop background color and also GParted screen over it), but as the screen is out of sync I can't read a thing (I also fear damaging the monitor).

Now I think the relevant HW details are:

NVidia GeForce4 MX440 video card
Samsung SyncMaster 3Ne monitor

I burned the ISO twice to see if it might be a corruption problem. Wasn't the case.

And before actually burning this ISO I fed the file as a virtual CD to a VMWare virtual machine, typed vesa at boot prompt, and got a nice 1024x768 perfectly working display inside the VM.

When booting to the physical machine I tried a number of options, always with the same garbled result:
just ENTER - fb1024 - fb800 - vesa - i800 or something like that I guess.

I saw some posts here with recommendations on editing config files, but I wonder if I could do this kind of hack since I don't have an alternative text-mode console other than the garbled graphical one.

Any hints ?

Thnks a lot

sdrubble

Re: Garbled monitor - gparted-livecd-0.3.3-7

Hallo sdrubble,

my graphic card is a 3dfx voodoo3 3000
and i had never problems with version 0.3.3-0 of gparted.

since the driver "tdfx" is not supported in the new version 0.3.4-1 of gparted,
i have the same problem, but i have found a solution for me.

edit your xorg.conf (it is located in /etc/X11/) :

- replace "DefaultColorDepth 24" with "DefaultColorDepth 16" in the ' Section "Screen" '.
- replace Driver "xxx" with Driver "vesa" in the ' Section "Device" '

and save the file.

type "startx" in the console.

good luck

3 (edited by Patrick Verner 2007-03-11 16:33:42)

Larry

Why are you leaving out Xorg drivers? I had all of them in past releases. I would suggest installing all of these:

apm, ark, ati, chips, cirrus, cyrix, glint, i128, i740, i810, mga, neomagic, nv, r128, riva128, radeon, rendition, s3, s3virge, savage, siliconmotion, sis, tdfx, tga, trident, tseng, vesa, vmware, voodoo

My old GParted LiveCD had these and so does Parted Magic.

Patrick Verner
www.partedmagic.com

Patrick Verner wrote:

Larry

Why are you leaving out Xorg drivers? I had all of them in past releases. I would suggest installing all of these:

apm, ark, ati, chips, cirrus, cyrix, glint, i128, i740, i810, mga, neomagic, nv, r128, riva128, radeon, rendition, s3, s3virge, savage, siliconmotion, sis, tdfx, tga, trident, tseng, vesa, vmware, voodoo

My old GParted LiveCD had these and so does Parted Magic.

Patrick Verner
www.partedmagic.com

Patrick,
Since you left the project i had to built something everybody could know how it works. So I did what i could. Now i am adding new drivers since i guess this is important. Anyway, thank you for your good suggestion.

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)