Re: How to resize VISTA using the GParted livecd

I am new to Vista and trying to partition my 320 GB HDD. I have a Dell XPS 1530.
So here is the situation..
I have curently 2 partitions that I can see c - 290gb n D(recovery) 10 gb.
I booted my vista wid live CD and shrinked that C drive from 290 to 100gb..took about 3-4 hours!

SDA1 fat32 90mb
sda2 ntfs d drive 10 gb
sda3 ntfs c drive 290gb
sda4 extended 2.5 gb

Now wen i try to create a new partition for that unallocated space Gparted throws an error that I can not have more than 4 primary partitions.
Can someone plzz suggest how do I use that unallocated 190 gb? If I resize the extended partition is it gona show up on windows? as it wasnt before...u can just see it in gparted....

Any info will be of great help! Thanks!

I created a new thread for the same...
http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=1475

hi,
I've got a serious problem... few days ago i decided that it is time to reinstall my ms vista, so i copied my laptops drivers to another partirion and bravely reinstalled vista, but when it started for the forst time, there it got ugly, i'm not able to see another partition. through disk management i can see it but seems like it is not ntfs or fat or other format... so i found out about your software and now i have 3.7 version, but when i start it the biggest problem is that i can't see any partition at all... now i have a serious problem, when i push anything with gparted it says go on but all data will be lost... that'll be okey if not the drivers in one of the partitions wich i can't see at first place... suggest anything please couse i'm not able to find drivers for my tshiba anywhere in the internet... oh by the way gparted shows one patition wich is unnalocated, and only options it sugest is to create new one, unfotunately it says that all data will be lost... so please suggest anything i'm prepared for the worst

It would be better to open a new thread on this problem, so that other members, more competent on vista could help better.

I can't understand well the problem. If Gparted shows unallocated space only, it doesn't find (or doesn't understand) any partition. Perhaps there is something wrong with the Master boot sector of the drive.

It isn't good to make partitioning operations without backup of important data.

It is possible that this GParted version doesn't understand very well the partition structure. If you are sure that partitions exist, you could try other GParted versions, newer or older. You can try to boot from other live cds, especially from Knoppix, to see if it can access this (these) partition(s). 

Perhaps something went wrong during the vista installation, so the partition table isn't valid. In this case, you can try a partition recovery software that is "testdisk" (on live cd). It would be better to make a copy (clone) of the hard drive using Clonezilla (or other cloning software) before trying.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

about cloning correct me if i'm wrong but i thought that you can only make clone to the existing partition...

i'm guessing the best way would be to use some data recovery tool, but i don't know any good one, so if you know anything to suggest please be my guest big_smile

i was in a hurry to write another post so maybe it wasn't very clear but idea is that there were 2 partitions after reinstallation i can use only one, threw disk management software i can see other partition, but it shows that this partition isn't NTFS or Fat or any, it sais that it is active and it's all... i didn't made any back up because somehow my mother managed to screw the old vista, so i came to easiest desission to reinstall os... unfortunatelly it is not so easy this time...

Vista contains a new feature which allows users to resize partition without any additional software. However, it has its own limitations.

Hello,

I've burned the image gparted-live-0.3.9-4.iso onto a CD and I've booted from the CD but it fails to boot. Again I'll mention at the moment all I have is Windows Vista on my laptop and I was hoping to use gparted to create an extra partition that I could install Red Hat Fedora on.

Again am I right in saying I don't need any Linux distribution to boot from this CD and access the terminal.

The CD looks fine. A dir in the command prompt gives the following:
C:\Users\David>dir E:\
Volume in drive E is GParted-live
Volume Serial Number is 002C-552B

Directory of E:\

01/10/2008 06:46 <DIR> .disk
01/10/2008 05:01 17,982 COPYING
01/10/2008 06:47 101 GParted-Live-Version
01/10/2008 06:47 <DIR> isolinux
01/10/2008 06:46 <DIR> live
01/10/2008 06:46 32,832 packages.txt
01/10/2008 06:46 2,520 parameters.txt
4 File(s) 53,435 bytes
3 Dir(s) 0 bytes free

Also for other people using vista I've already tried to partition using Vista but the partition isn't recognised when I try to install Red Hat Fedora.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
David

Great answers. Some are very helpful since i have the same issues right now.

Regards,
Liza
Pret travaux

33 (edited by TheRaven 2009-09-11 06:20:42)

This thread is pretty old...
This has been a serious problem for alot of people as I have witnessed at numerous boards and forums on Microsoft sites. G-Parted is not the only partitioning manager that suffers from an apparent lack of support for managing Vista formatted NTFS partitions. Vista utilizes NTFS but, few know that the NTFS format that Vista uses has been updated and is not the same as the old NTFS format that NT used for Windows 2K Pro and XP versions. Vista purposely ignores other partitions unless you manually tell it to recognize them, more appropriately, Vista is designed to not intrude upon other O.S. systems including XP as I ran a dual boot system with both. Vista comes with Bit-Locker but, your mother board has to have a compatible security chip else Bit-Locker won't even install -- I know this off hand personally as it would not install on my Compaq Presario V2000 due to no security chip.

Another issue that might be haunting people here is the fact that I see all types of details but, I have yet to see anyone stating as to whether or not the partitions that they created were actually marked into service as being active. If a partition is not marked active it will be hidden to all O.S.'s regardless and may only be seen by a stand-alone O.S. independent Disk Partitioning Manager. If G-Parted is in anyway reliant upon Linux kernels this may present a problem; the G-Parted partitioning utilities are having the partition blocked from view due to a "hands off" flag sent up from the kernel/O.S. hardware abstraction layer -- something in that order.

An inactive partition is treated as invisible. This state is primarily used when installing multiple O.S.'s on a drive as a work around technique to prevent installation conflicts -- once all the O.S.'s are installed you mark all partitions active and install a 3rd party boot manager. This particular style is employed by hardware hacks and systems administrators mostly.

In closing if you do have Bit-Locker installed and operational your partition/hard disk is actually encrypted, anywhere from 128 to 256 bit on average, along with its MFT and address ranges. Yeah, you're going to have a hard time setting up anything that resembles a rational memory quota like a partition for a full blown O.S. You will have to turn Bit-Locker off and if you chose to compress your Vista NTFS file system on the drive that is also going to present headaches.

Short and sweet:

0.) Notify your Vista O.S. System Administrator/Log in as Administrator -- as applicable
1.) Have Bit-Locker decrypt your drive
2.) Turn Bit-Locker off
3.) Turn NTFS compression off
4.) Decompress your NTFS partition (Vista) -- this is generally done automagically when you turn off drive compression but, pay attention and make sure it is decompressed.
5.) Make sure that any partitions that you create are marked active before you reboot otherwise you can do it again!

6.) Make certain that you did steps 0 thru 5 in that sequence and none other especially if you're doing the re-format out of Linux from a terminal instance as shells seem to distract and lead users astray. I've helped people out on Ubuntu, Dream, and SUSE linux forums before and I know that little black terminal screen hypnotizes people and makes them do weird things -- stuff they weren't instructed to or supposed to do in the first place.

I know a good bit by trial and stupidity -- error has been upgraded. Welcome to the era of inconvenience.

Bit-Locker is accessible via the Control Panel Start Menu option and can be managed through the Programs and Features option of the Control Panel menu option. From the Programs and Features dialog you will look left at the quick link "Turn Windows Features On or Off"; click the link to open another dialog that will provide you with management options regarding Bit-Locker. To manage drive compression in Vista , it's just like XP, open your "Computer" Start Menu Option locate your Vista drive entry > right click it > select "Properties" from the dialog menu now, looking at the bottom of your drive properties dialog, locate and uncheck the "Compress this Drive to Save Space" check box > click the "Apply" button > click the "OK" button -- and you're ready to go. You can verify that the drive is no longer compressed by opening a folder in Explorer paying attention to folder and file names -- if the file and folder names are black text your drive is non-compressed but, if the text names are blue then your drive is still compressed.

You all need to keep crackin down on these here issues as I think G-Parted is pretty awesome stuff. Alot of commercial partitioning managers utilize alot of G-Parted technology -- bet some of you didn't know that. Take a gander around at some of the more well known partition managers as I think one of them that I'm referring to is Acronis, could be Paragon or, maybe both. I can't remember -- I'm tired.

Dream Linux and openSUSE use G-Parted -- sweet!