1 (edited by new2vista 2008-06-06 20:58:28)

Topic: [solved] Trying to create partition in VISTA-plz help!

I am new to Vista and trying to partition my 320 GB HDD. I have a Dell XPS 1530.
So here is the situation..
I have curently 2 partitions that I can see c - 290gb n D(recovery) 10 gb.
I booted my vista wid live CD and shrinked that C drive from 290 to 100gb..took about 3-4 hours!

SDA1 fat32 90mb
sda2 ntfs d drive 10 gb
sda3 ntfs c drive 290gb
sda4 extended 2.5 gb

Now wen i try to create a new partition for that unallocated space Gparted throws an error that I can not have more than 4 primary partitions.
Can someone plzz suggest how do I use that unallocated 190 gb? If I resize the extended partition is it gona show up on windows? as it wasnt before...u can just see it in gparted....

Any info will be of great help! Thanks!

Re: [solved] Trying to create partition in VISTA-plz help!

Ok I just realized what the other 2 partitions are and I think I will have to get rid off one!
If I delete D (recovery) drive would I be able to use all the unallocated space to create a new partition?

You can create new logical partitions in the extended partition. Obviously, you need to grow the extended partition with Gparted to take the unallocated space.

It is better to leave recovery partition, as it eventually could be useful to any dell-specific things (any proprietary dell drivers for mswindows).

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Thanks for the reply!
I got confused if Gparted can do it or not coz wen I rebooted my system after shrinking C..it went into startup repair and took forever to repair Vista...then i deleted my recovery drive but ya I took a backup with acronis true image and then used acronis disk director to(vista compatible) to use all unallocated space and create a new partition.

Learnt a lot about Vista in 3-4 days!!

vista was so successful that they decided to make a new service pack for xp
lol

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***