Topic: Problem shrinking XP NTFS partition with 0.3.3-5 LiveCD

I've been attempting to shrink a Windows XP NTFS partition using the 0.3.3-5 GParted LiveCD.
The error I receive is as follows: "ERROR: Extended record needed (xxxx > 1024), not yet supported! Please try to free less space."

Does anyone have an idea of what the problem might be, or how to fix it? I'm trying to free about five GB from the end of the partition to add to a Ubuntu / partition. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Problem shrinking XP NTFS partition with 0.3.3-5 LiveCD

Yes the problem comes from bytes per sector. ATM gparted-0.3.3 only support 512 !
Well i have uploaded a beta version which runs gparted-0.3.4 (from svn). You may try it if you want.
It should be stable. The only problem that happens sometimes is that parted-1.8.2 crashes... dunno why atm.
Can be found there : http://gparted.free.fr/beta

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

That doesn't seem to have fixed the problem; I'm still receiving the error. Any other ideas?

I have the same problem, I'll try the beta version as well and see what happens I suppose. First I tried to free 10GB, didn't work, then 8GB, then 4GB, still didn't work.  Perhaps I'll have a go at trying even smaller values as well.

Well, I tried both versions of LiveCD but I don't think it made a difference, I managed to squeeze a lousy 650 MB out of my primary partition sad .  I'm not sure whether this will be enough for my Ubuntu installation.  Could anyone recommend a way of getting any more free space?  And, would defragmenting make any difference whatsoever?

which is the file system of your partition ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin

It's NTFS.  I defragmented it and managed to get 10 GB out of it smile .  I suppose Windows moved most of  the data from the end of the drive so GParted didn't need to deal with it ?  Very useful program, thanks very much.

I never saw this problem with GParted. I might be something else somewhere.
Which kinda drive do you use ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin