1 (edited by thelning 2007-02-11 09:20:08)

Topic: How to resize C:\ from an unallocated partition

First I wish to thank all you who has put your hard work to produce this excellent and free program.
Basically I wanted to make my C:\ larger. Have one HDD now with 4 partitions, one unallocated.
Managed to get a 10Gb unallocated partition from a large partiton with plenty of unused space.
How do I now make C:\ larger by using the 10Gb unallocated partition. Trying to resize C:\ does not
allow me to make it larger, only smaller. Clicking on the unallocated partition does not allow me to do
anything at all. I have downloaded and read all your 4 pdf documents, but am unable to find anything about this.
Appreciate very much your kind help.
Warm regards from Down Under.
Tony
PS. forgot to mentioned that I found your great program from the Austraian Personal Computer magaizine
in February issue, where James Banna wrote about dual booting with Vista and hwo to use GParted.

Re: How to resize C:\ from an unallocated partition

Thx for your support smile
Could you please post somewhere a screenshoot of yur drive layout seen by GParted ?
In the docs, you should find : howto take a screenshot, and how to export it to some usb key.
Then i guess i can give you the answer....

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Hi Larry,
Many thanks for your quick reply even on a Sunday. Excellent support.
Not being too computer literate I had to literary take a screen shot with my mobile phone in order to sent it.
Best regards
Tony
Here is the link to the picture on my web site:
http://home.pacific.net.au/~thelning/Thelning.jpg

Okay.
That's what i expected ! You have 4 extended partitions on your drive. It is only possible to create 4 extended partitions. Either you create logical partition or  primary partition. You may have as much logical patition as you want, since they are located in a extended partition. In this picture you can see 2 partitions, and the second contains logical partitions again : http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/re … ouse-b.gif .

So what you have to do is to follow this doc : http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/tips/gfs.htm
This is exactly what you need . smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin

5 (edited by thelning 2007-02-12 10:10:03)

(SOLVED)
Hi Larry,
Eureka, success, it works.
I did first not fully understand the page 5 of the Getting Free Space to grow-up Partition manual. After reading it a few times I realized what that cursor with a cross was and that I have to move the drive and also move up the unallocated section step by step until it came to the right of my C drive.
I am very happy now and to get to learn about your fantastic program, as well as for the nice and quick service I got. Something you do not always get even if you pay plenty of money. Thanks you so much again for your kind and helpful assistance.
Best regards
Tony

Tony,
could you please point out the things (sentences, lines) you first missunderstood reading the doc-page ? It mays give help to other users...
Then i can make corrections ...
thx

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Hi again Larry,
On page 5 of the Getting Free Space to grow-up Partition manual and under the picture, it says

Thank you!  Just to clarify what thelning is describing [as I had to read this post and the manual a few times as well], it appears you have to have the free "unallocated" space your going to use right next to the partition you want to expand.  View the drive/partition and drag the data from the left to the right with your mouse.  This will move the data and set the unallocated space to the left when completed.  You simply need to make room or clear space right next to the drive you need to increase.  Like a brick wall or building blocks in a line, if you want to add a door in the middle of the wall [aka your unallocated space to a drive], you need to shift blocks to the right to make way for the door.  Hope this does not sound silly.

Love this program!!!!  TY