1 (edited by c_martini 2006-08-14 16:47:40)

Topic: partimage on live cd

I am trying to figure out how to access partimage on the live cd but am unable to find it. Can anyone tell me where and how to access this feature?

Re: partimage on live cd

hi c_martini,
if partimage is still on the cd, it should be launched from a terminal: open a terminal and type "partimage", and hit enter smile
But i am not sure partimage is on the cd ...

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Thanks. I'll try it when I return home. It would probably be a good suggestion to the developer to perhaps make a direct link to it in the panel.

Gparted is a nice utility and the live cd is very useful.

smile

c_martini wrote:

Thanks. I'll try it when I return home. It would probably be a good suggestion to the developer to perhaps make a direct link to it in the panel.

...Well atm, it is not sure that other tools than expected for GParted keep included in the livecd...
The problem is that everyone want one's tool ....

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

"It would probably be a good suggestion to the developer to perhaps make a direct link to it in the panel."

I got a better idea. Open a terminal and type:

partimage

/delevoper
//quit being lazy

6 (edited by c_martini 2006-08-15 10:26:09)

Patrick Verner wrote:

partimage

/delevoper
//quit being lazy

It is not a case of whether I am lazy or not. I am no stranger to terminal commands. The idea and design of this live cd seems geared towards a user friendly shell for performing disk maintenance and backup operations. While it is simple enough to open a terminal and type 'partimage', many people will not even know this as there is no mention of this extra tool anywhere or an instruction on its usage except in the release notes for a previous version of the live cd. I know the tool was included as kind of an after thought. My suggestion was merely that - a suggestion that in order to follow the aim of this live cd, a link to the tool in the panel would be a nice addition. Its just to make the user experience just that little bit as friendly as launching the other utilities.

Take this from someone who designs user interfaces for a living smile

Thanks for a great tool and all the time spent in its development!

Chris

Ok, I see your point now. There is no way I'm putting an icon in the taskbar for partimage. I'll get that out of the way. What I can do is add it to the fluxbox menu when you right click on the desktop.

This is an open source project that we don't get paid for. We don't do this for a living. So, if you want, make me a list of what you would like in the menu, because I have more important things to work on right now.

Thanks for helping out. smile

c_martini wrote:
Patrick Verner wrote:

partimage

/delevoper
//quit being lazy

<snip>
The idea and design of this live cd seems geared towards a user friendly shell for performing disk maintenance and backup operations.
<snip>

Ah, but there is where most people get it wrong. The purpose of the live environments was and is to provide gparted in a convenient and uptodate manner. It's NOT a general purpose diskmaintenaince environment.
However, over time we have decided to add some usefull tools to it, but it's very hard to decide what is suitable and what not.

As Patrick said, everyone like to see his/her favourite app on the cd and it's simply not possible to honour all requests.

It all sounds reasonable to me. Having partimage on the right click menu would be great.

Thanks Patrick and plors for a good explanation.

Keep up the great work.

smile

Chris