Topic: disk locked and will not allow copy

I installed linux on a 20 g HD and later installed a new 2nd 80 g HD. I loaded the 2nd HD with the Linux program and Gparted shows everything ok. The problem is Now I want to copy everything setup on the 20 g drive to the 80 G drive but on the 20 g drive it will not allow a copy to the 80 g.
Gparted asks for my password but I assume is not giving me permission as it shows a Lock on the HD.
Any way around this.

Re: disk locked and will not allow copy

To run gparted you need to be "super user", that 's the reason why password is asked.
And for sure, i guess you can put 80go on 20 smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Super user, OK. No I am copying everything from a 20 g to a 80 g Hard drive.

I never got gparted to work in coping the file to the 80 g drive. I used the terminal mode and typed sudo -s then typed dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb enter.
it took a while but it transfered all the files to the 80 gig. However it made a partion the same size as the 20 g drive but at least I got a backup.

gparted is not used to copy a file but a partition, exactly what you did using dd.
Or i miss something ?
btw, if you add "bs=1M" to our "dd" line, it will work faster smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin

I wanted to copy the entire disk to a new disk with higher capacity. On the 29 g hard drive is where I satered using linux. I liked it and then started setting up my computer with different programs. Then I decided that I really wanted a bigger HD instead of the 20 g one. When I saw the gparted could do a copy, I figured it would copy the entire disk to another disk which would make me one like I had setup.
But the DD command just made another 20 g partation on the 80 gig and left the other alone. I guess that now I can go back and expand the 20 gig out to what I want using gparted.

Well in fact GParted can copy partitions but not the entier hard drive ; well not in one time i mean. But you should copy each partition to another drive.

Tell us about your experiences !

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Well I have been in computers since 1980 on my first Tandy. Started in using Dos. Came up thru all the windows machines and tried Linux red hat about 5 years ago and never go it to work. Just before Christmas, I decided to update all my office computers as the ones I had were Dell workstations with windows 2000 Pro and 8 years old. One computer started giving me trouble in 1 week running XP as this is the going thing. To make a long story short, I found it to be software, after much discussion, running circles and getting upset. I went on to a Linux site and started looking at options. Found Ubuntu 6.06 to be the one everyone seems to be using with no trouble and decided to try Linux again. I found an old 20 g Hard Drive and downloaded it. After 2 hours I was getting impressed. I moved slow downloading things I needed to setup my office computers as I needed it. After 2 days and not trouble exchanging documents back and forth, getting players to work, networking to work and downloading more tools, I was very impressed. The only problem I was having was getting a Lexmark printer to work off the network. By this time I had too much on a 20 g drive to start all over on a new 80 g drive that I wanted to use and wipe out the windows on it. This is when I tried to copy everything over to the 80 g drive using gparted but it shoed the locks on the drives but not on the 2nd drive. Found later it was a permission issue that I needed and when I used the terminal mode, gave the super permission and did the transfer, it worked. It copied the all 20 g drive to the 80 g drive with no problems. it just took a while as I have 5gigs of data on it. What I didn't expect was it setup the same 20 gigs on the 80 g drive and left the rest unpartitioned. I really want the whole 80 gigs for linux and then later to mirror another 80 to this one for backup.
This was what I was trying to do with gparted.

well, you just need to resize your drive : GParted is done for that smile

On another hand, you should try something else :
Run the livecd
(re)create a partition on the 80 go drive (ext3 or fat32, i dont know what you prefer/need)
when this is done
Mount each partition like this:

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/custom ### i suppose  the 20go drive has one partition which is hda1
mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/windows ### i suppose  the 80go drive has one partition which is hdb1

Then open Midnight COmmander : open Xterm and type "mc"
on the left go to /mnt/custom
switch to the right (using "tab" key) and go to /mnt/windows
go back to the left and select all files you wanna copy using the "inser" key
Press F5
BE CAREFULL here : it seems not do anything BECAUSE the compter calculate how much files there is to copy
When it give you the hand back , click ok
F10 to quit and then umount all and reboot.

It should make the trick wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Thanks Larry,
I will try that here in a few day's. Yes I am wanting the hard drive as one partition on the 80 Gig.
It is on the 20 gig as well. Hda1 is the 20 and hdb1 is the 80. I was not using the live CD so I just downloaded it and burned a CD.

Well; the locks you were talking about came from this ! If you were running GParted within from your system, the / system is locked !

Good luck ! And tell me about what happen smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin