1 (edited by dupre1967 2006-12-06 09:53:53)

Topic: [SOLVED] LiveCD working on Lenovo Thinkpad T60?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a tool to resize my big C: partition on my Lenovo Thinkpad T60.
Since this notebook has SATA drives and I've read several posts about problems
with SATA drives with the actual LiveCD, has anyone already succsessfully tried GParted on this notebook?

Regards

Re: [SOLVED] LiveCD working on Lenovo Thinkpad T60?

why not try it yourself? the download is < 30MiB so it won't take much time to get and burn it.

It's because I'm no expert with all this stuff.
Downloading only 30MB and burning a cd is not the problem.

If the LiveCD boots, does it then mean that could resize the partion with the "normal" risk? Or does I get to know about some problems with the SATA drive while/after resizing?

Furthermore, I don't know which SATA HW my Thinkpad is using, therefor I have to try every special boot option if it works.

Therefore, I'm hoping that some replies something like "No, keep hands of it and wait for a new version with never kernel" or "Yes, bus you need to load the SATA driver xyz in the boot menue", just because I'm no expert at all.

well, afaik there is no extra risk involved if the harddisk is 'just detected'. That's why my advice to just try it smile

Well, to the most important thing first:

It worked with the LiveCD gparted-livecd-0.3.1-1!

I took some time to test it, since I had to create the product recovery media first and then back up everything...

The procedure that workes for me was:

1) Defragment c: and run chkdsk on c:
2) Shutdown XP and enter BIOS Setup (press <F1> during boot screen)
3) Change Config->SATA from AHCI to Compatible
4) Save and exit BIOS, press <F12> to get a list of boot devices, boot from CD
5) Use the standard setup from the Live CD, no special modules needed
6) The disk will show up as /dev/sdax
7) You will find 2 primary partitions, one big ("IBM_PRELOAD") with the XP and one ~8GB (ups, fogotten the name) with the recovery system at the end.
8) Resize the XP partition to the size you really need, this will leave a lot of space between the two primary partitions.
9) Exit the LiveCD, press <F1> to enter BIOS and change SATA setting back to AHCI
10) Boot XP. XP will run chkdsk on c: and reboot
11) Create the other partitions you need, either with gparted, or if you just need NTFS/FAT32 partitions you can use diskmgmt.msc and thus save changing the BIOS again.

Regard,
dupre1967