Topic: Corrupt partition table

I'm tired right now and I'll update with the outputs of fdisk -l later, but basically here is the situation:

I have reorganized my 200GB hard drive into 22 partitions. All has been going well, and I had no problems with GParted up until now. I was moving hda8 because there was some oddball freespace in between the partitions and I needed some more space on another partition; further I was doing this as a test before shrinking my boot partition. I dual/multi boot Windows XP, Ubuntu, and Gentoo. Now as it was moving hda8 to the left it popped up and error and then refreshed and none of my partitions showed up. I freaked of course and I used the in included testdrive app and I think it showed all my partitions except 8, but I'm not positive since I have 22 of them to check. I rebooted just to see the extent of the damage and if Grub was intact, it was. I booted in XP and noticed that although my hda1 (C:) drive was intact the others were not.

So then I popped in knoppix which is what I'm currently using, and it recognizes hda1 ntfs), hda2 (ntfs), hda3 (extended), hda5 (ntfs), hda6 (ext2), and hda7 (ext2; location of grub). I think hda8 is toast but thats ok cause it was just the Gentoo root parition which didn't work anyway (I was never able to get X to load). My concern of course is for hd15(photoshop),16(docs),17(programs),18(photos), and 19(music). I'm not so concerned about my other partitions, anyway, what I need to do is to restore my partition table. I'm kinda rambling, but kinda freaked out and having trouble remebering such everyday things as my passwords.

BTW I also noticed some bugs with the latest 0.3 GParted - although when you hit shutdown and a pop asks if you want to eject and then reboot or simply reboot, and then a popup asks to reboot once you remove the CD, the bug is that it reboots when you don't modify anything that session. If you have made changes, then GParted stalls and doesn't reboot, it asks if you want to eject but then the popup to actually reboot doesn't show up. Alright, any help is much appreciated *yawn*

Re: Corrupt partition table

Hi, it's very difficult for me to find out what's your actual problem, can you please rephrase it and be short? thanks! smile

Also, didn't you notice the error you saw urged you to save the details so we can help you? Those saved errors are EXTREMELY IMPORTANT is you want any useful help smile

regards

Re: Corrupt partition table

I was too panicky to write down the message. I thought that I had lost just the single partition, but GParted refreshed and all the partitions were missing. However, I did analyze the harddrive using the included TestDisk and my important partitions seems to be in tact, though I did lose several Ubuntu related ones, but those should be a quick reinstall. I'll update when I have resolved the issue, which is something I will go over with one of my friends sometime this week.