Topic: Trying to shrink ntfs drive to make way for Ubuntu - unsuccessfully!

GParted is showing

Partition       File System        Size           Used                  Unused                  Flags
/dev/hda1      ntfs           111.78GiB       61.14GiB              50.14GiB               boot
unallocated   unallocated     7.84MiB           -                         -

I have just defragmented c drive using the XP tool. The objective is to try out Ubuntu with an eye to replacing XP if all goes well.

In the Ubuntu install process I get as far as trying to resize the only partition I have. On the first attempt it tells me there is not enough space (no matter what size I select) and on the second attempt it will appear to freeze - how long should I wait with the disc spinning round and round?

I decided to try GParted separately but am not having any more joy. When I select dev/hda1 I am able to drag the size down.
I then select the large space that has just been 'created' and click the New icon. From here the options I choose are Primary Partition and ext3 for the file system.

After a minute or so I am told that An error occured while applying the operations.

Can anybody offer any help?

Thanks in advance.

Other info that users seem to post
Motherboard is P4S800 and processor is P4 2.6

Re: Trying to shrink ntfs drive to make way for Ubuntu - unsuccessfully!

Post the error message, please !
You surely hade a look at the docs, havent you :-/
(http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/ti … etails.htm)

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

also make sure you use the latest livecd..

OK, the live CD is ver 0.3.1-1

I'm about to have a go at saving the details (thought I'd give it a shot without to see if there was something basic I was doing wrong).

Will be in touch...

I don't have a floppy or USB stick so I went for the option of saving to hard drive.

After realising that I needed spaces in certain places I have managed to get as far as the line

cp gparted_details.htm /tmp/hda1/home/C:/Desktop/

Then I get the error message

cp:  unable to open  '/tmp/hda1/home/C:/Desktop/': No such file or directory

Am I doing the right thing by putting C: in the <your-path> section?
I have tried C: followed by other locations, but really am at a loss on I need to do next.
Have also tried root.

Thanks,

Paul

well, the path is not good. But anyway if you have no writable media to put the file on, you cant keep it ! After the reboot file will be flown away sad
Or you could mount a hard-drive ?
Then the path is /tmp/hda1/xxxx
to know what xxx is just hit the "tab" key 2 times , and you will be shown all the possibilities ....

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

I appreciate your help but I am a novice and the language you are using makes little sense to me yikes
I am not clear what mounting is. Does it mean adding a file to that location?

Also when hitting tab twice I was expecting a choice of locations to load the file to. The list of what appears to be 439 commands confuses me even more!

haha smile we are paying to price of letting windows users use our software (no offense intended smile )

I think it's best if you try to find a floppy or usbstick, it makes things a lot easier. If that is really not an option we can guide you through the process of saving it to harddisk.

also, you can view the details yourself in gparted and copy the error by hand.

Thanks plors - and none taken.

I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can get a USB stick.

cool, thanks smile

Oh well, I copped out and opted for another hard disk.

Now up and running Ubuntu - trying to get it o recognize my printers etc and start a network.

Going OK so far.

Thanks anyway.