Topic: Increase partition size--how?

I successfully took xGB from one partition and created the space as unallocated. However, how do I add this pace to another partition. No matter what I do, the partition I want to enlarge cannot see the new free space. I've tried creating an ntfs partition on the new free space, and then deleting the partition for "unallocated" but I can't figure out how to get the free space into another partition.

I remember partition magic had an option you could tell it to take space fro X partition and add it to Y partition.

So to be clear, I simply want to take space from one partition and add it to another partition.

Thanks

Re: Increase partition size--how?

Did you ever hade a look there : http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Yeah. But when I try to increase the partition, it will only allow me to increase it to the unused partition size, which does not allow me to increase the partition at all. In other words, if I have a partition with 30GB and I have 2 GB left on it, I can increase it that much, and that is all. It doesn't seem to be seeing the free space in other partiions nor in the unallocated space/empty partition I created by shrinking others. Put another way, I have a partition with 15GB of empty space, and Gparted will not allow me to move that space to a another partition. The available unused space does not show up in the slider area of the partiion I want to increase.

Okay! This, you cant do ! you  can only grow up  on free space ! so you need to move free space from one partition to another one, til you have gathered all the free space ...
Do you understand ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin

5 (edited by dwdallam 2006-10-27 05:14:26)

How do I move space from one partition to another? I cannot do it with the sliders. They will not allow me to add more space from another partition.

dwdallam wrote:

How do I move space from one partition to another?

LarryT wrote:

so you need to move free space from one partition to another one, til you have gathered all the free space ...

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Yep. Have no idea how to do that except using the sliders, which do not show free space that I can use. That's my initial problem--there seems no way to add unused space from one partition to another, unless I'm missing something.

Again, what happens is that I click on a partiion that I want to oncrease in size.  It does not show any "free sapce" that is available to use, except the unused space on that particular partition. In my specific case, I have a partition with 30GB total, and 1.4GB free. The maximum size allowed in "30GB" even though tehre is a partition with 15GB free.

could you post any screenshot please ? or even the output of a "df" as root.

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Larry,

I do not know how to save the image created with Gparted screnshot. I also do not know what "a 'df' as root" means. I have taken an image of my disk partitions, however. You can view it here:
http://dwdallam.com/files/screen001.gif

When I click on a partition in Gparted, it does not show any possible free space from other partitions. It only shows me the used partition space and the unused partition space for that specific partition.

Also, as I created a partition with Gparted, and tehn formatted it with Windows, when I go back into Gparted, to reports that the partition has 3_ GB used, which is wrong--there is nothing on it. It did not report correctly in Gparted untill I deleted it and recreated it plus formatted it inside of Gparted.

If you explain how to save the Gparted image to my hard drive so when I boot into Windows it is available, I'll post a screen shot of the Move/Resize screen.

when clicking on your ilnk, i get a "permission denied" :-D
BTW : here is the way to save screenshot :
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php (in the TIPS)

To run "df" :
Open a shell, and type after the # :
# df
followed by the hit of "enter" key
you can also make a screen shot of this output.

BTW

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Sure, I've read the entire help file three times. I'm just not grasping it. Sorry.

Also, you should now be able to click the link and have persmissions.

OK I read the second explanation and I do understand that. I haven't used DOS command like mkdir for many years sad

I will try again to get the screen shot Larry. HTanks.

Larry,

I could not understand your instructions to make a directory on the USB pen drive and then copy the image to that directory. So I just took a photo with my camera of the screen. If you go to this link, you should have access to both images--Windows partition and Gparted screen shot showing my inability to make a partition larger.
www.dwdallam.com/files

plors, have a look there : this is weird : http://www.dwdallam.com/files/Gparted.jpg
i guess you did answer to that kind of bug last weeks dont you ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin

ok dwdallam !
so you first need to to shrink sda11, then move sda6 then move sda7 then move sda8, then growup sda9.
It will take a while, sure thing, but that's it. smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin

This is a bug?

What do you mean exactly by "move"? Move then where? Move them why? Move them how?

where is there a bug ?
You need free space somewhere, so we try to move all to have free space where you want.
This soft is not able to make coffoe, nor using empty space from everywhere.

To move a partition, clic the partition, then clic resize/move in the panel, then make your operation.

Larry
GParted-project Admin

I google partition manager find some freeware bellow:

paragon  http://www.paragon-software.com
I have not used,no comment!

easeus partition manager
I download from brother soft
http://www.brothersoft.com/easeus-parti … 51814.html

It worked OK, but failed when i tried to  merge partition. so i have to allocated the free space to another partition. Partition magic may merge two partitions which will cost you $69.95

cute partition manager
http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/freewar … load.shtml

Is this last post a commercial or what?

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

dwdallam: don't worry, I get your frustration. I was having the same issues. For those hitting this site from the search engines I just thought I'd post what solved my problem...

You can just click on the rectangle of the partition you want to enlarge to fill the free space. You need to first resize the extended partion which contains the partition you want to resize. It is easiest to select the extended partition in the list below the visual representation of the partitions. Resize the extended partition, then you can resize the partition contained in it.

I was having the same issue.  What I wasn't realizing is my raid/ghost drive which isn't mounted but shows up in GParted had to be resized as well to match the mounted version of the drive I had already resized.  Once I resized the ghost drive to match the mounted drive I was able to expand the other partition into the unallocated space.  I know this topic is from awhile back but I hope this makes sense to anyone else who comes along needing help with this issue.