Topic: New member trying to make a bootable USB for macOS High Sierra

A 17" MacBook Pro 6,1, that runs High Sierra is not working due to messed up partitions.

How do I make a bootable USB on a Mac Pro 5,1. It can run in: High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, or Windows 10.

The desired goal is to restore the MacBook Pro to operating condition in macOS. There is information on the computer that must be recovered, and right now disk utility cannot find or fix the SSD (1 Tb drive).

I am not familiar with Linux but am in the process of learning.

What would probably be a good approach?

Thank you very much.

Re: New member trying to make a bootable USB for macOS High Sierra

I can see that there is a lot of information that I really need to review first. So reply, or not, and I will attempt to assimilate all the stuff I need to know that is already available. That may solve my problem without any further assistance. Thanks, and sorry if you feel my initial question was worthless.

I don't know Mac OS internals, anyway I look in the net and find that you can create bootable USB sticks on a mac by using the mac's "Disk utility".
On a windows 10 computer you can download and use the free "Rufus" tool (it doesn't need any installation, you have to just run the exe file).

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Thank you for your reply. Bootable USB from Disk Utility are macOS only, no Linux or other variants, and only those macOS's that the machine is currently set up to run, i.e., no old OS's that the machine used to boot, but are no longer allowed.

I can do a USB in Windows. Did that and still did not work.

Need a step-by-step for macOS either Catalina or Mojave and with a Linux version that will work with the installer software.

Thanks, wnlewis