Topic: Problems with booting latest versions of GParted Live

Hi!

I decided to download the latest version of GParted Live and faced problems when booting.

I try to boot on ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW. It has both NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M and Intel HD Graphics 530.

The version of GParted Live I used before was 0.31.0-1.
I had some problems while booting in this version, but they were solved by choosing safe graphics mode (vga=normal). I didn't even have to run 'forcevideo' to config X manually. Automatic configuration worked fine.

Now I've tried the latest version of GParted Live (1.0.0-3) and I couldn't boot in any way.
I decided to try other versions, but none of versions 1.0.0-x, 0.33.0-x and 0.32.0-x worked.

I've tried tips on booting, but nothing worked.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Problems with booting latest versions of GParted Live

I forgot to specify the situation in new versions.

Automatic configuration does not work.
And running 'forcevideo' manually shows the warranty information.

Have you gone through the GParted Live Manual - Tips on Booting GParted Live?

gedakc wrote:

Have you gone through the GParted Live Manual - Tips on Booting GParted Live?

Yes, as I've already said:

add007 wrote:

I've tried tips on booting, but nothing worked.

@add007,
Please help us to fix this. Debian is our upstream. If you can, please download this live CD:
https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu … e-CD-1.iso
Then boot it on the same machine. To see if X-window can successfully shown. If it works, then we know the issue is on GParted live. Otherwise it might due to the upstream fails to support your VGA chipset.
Thanks.

Steven

BTW, I also created a newer version of GParted live "1.0.0-4". It's uploaded here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gparte … g/1.0.0-4/
Please give it a try, too.
Let us know the results. Thanks.

Steven

7 (edited by add007 2019-07-25 13:08:02)

@stevenshiau
The link you've given for a Debian image was not a Live CD. It was an installer. But I still tried it.
I've managed to start the graphical installer with no problems. I've just selected the first highlighted option.

Then I've tried the following Live CD iso: https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu … 4-xfce.iso
And again I've managed to start it by just selecting the first highlighted option. Nothing else was required.
The only problem with this Live CD was that when I try to shutdown or reboot the PC, the system freezes, so I had to hold the power button.

I've also tried GParted live "1.0.0-4". But the result was the same as with previous versions.

8 (edited by add007 2019-07-25 13:17:11)

By the way, the grub menu for GParted live is rather not user friendly (the font is very small and hardly readable). But it's not the biggest issue and I can bear with it.
Here are photos of Grub menu from Debian Live CD and from GParted live.
Debian

GParted

P.S. Had to create so many posts as only 1 link is allowed pro message. sad

Have you tried GParted live 1.0.0-4 on different types of machines? Does it work? I'd like to know if it only fails on some specific type of hardware.
Thanks.

Steven

No, only on my ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW.
I don't have any other hardware.

The problem is, I do not have similar hardware. For the hardware I have, and the virtual machine I have, all works for GParted live 1.0.0-3 and 1.0.0-4. Hence it's very difficult for me to debug and fix this issue.
I have no idea how to continue...

Steven

OK. Thanks for your help and time. I'll continue to use version 0.31.0-1. Maybe one day the issue will get fixed by itself.

By the way, maybe you know any other Live CDs that include GParted as a package?

add007 wrote:

By the way, maybe you know any other Live CDs that include GParted as a package?

One of them is System Rescue CD (http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/), that is based on ArchLinux.
According to its web page, latest release comes with GParted 0.33.0-1.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***