1 (edited by gedakc 2016-05-04 22:29:20)

Topic: [closed] Save command script

I'd personally like to be able to use GParted to generate authoritative command sequences hat Gparted makes so well. Let's face it: GPart is very good at visually manipulating your disks.
The great thing is, the 'Commit' feature almost completes the separation of GUI/business logic.... almost but not quite.

There are large risks/inconveniences for me in having to run an X application for the whole duration of (sometimes lengthy) operations. If one could save the operations as e.g. a shell script, or even a 'GParted transaction script' that could then be executed 'gparted-script -s MoveBackupdisks.gparted' offline...

It'll make it easy to run the actual transformations headless (a major feature in my server envs: running those lengthy operations over a networked X11 is waiting for disaster: a network hickup will cause GParted to be comprehensively killed off and abort it's operations halfway. Alternatives require installing X/Xvnc/FreeNX which is not possible/desirable at many server locations. Imagine running the jobs in a screen session instead! Oh the safety increase and convenience)

Additionally, i'd like to pick and customize those for my own usage.

E.g. i'd like to be able to generate a sequence of commands,

*then schedule them to run at night in a different runlevel,
*logging to mail,
*not actually dd-ing all data when copying a partition (some of the time I just want identical-sized slices, not clones of filesystems)
*just see what the heck command line arguments a tool required again (gparted knows them man-pages a lot better than I do plus it keeps up with new features/versions)
*parallellize operations at my own discretion
*tee my expensive dd operation so I simultaneously do an offline backup, run an md5sum or whatever
*use sdd for progress reports (instead of dd)
*use ddrescue (instead of dd conv=noerror)
*automatically update filesystem GUIDS after cloning

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of things I thought over my time of using GParted. Thanks for making a gui application that rocks so bigtime, that even this self-admitted CLI bigot cannot stop using it !!!!

Re: [closed] Save command script

Oh, and by the way I really like that I could spot F***-ups like the ones that happen regularly:

resizes that becomes moves (it costs a lot of time and you have to sit it out or you'll end up with corrupted filesystems).... I know this is a known bug, and it should be fixed in 0.3.8.

However I'm on Ubuntu Hardy and as such in no position to install 0.3.8 because of all the dependencies (mainly in the gtk/cairo dept).

Besides, the point is still valid for any future/undiscovered bug.