Topic: vmware ws - GP hangs when framebuffer used

Hi,

when vga=791 || 788 is used GParted 0.21.0-1 fails to boot on VmWare workstation v10.0.3 64bit/Linux.

http://www.2puk.com/tempp/gprtd_vga-788.png

I noticed the exact same behavior on latest Debian kernel builds

it boots fine without fb, but X looks kinda awful - this is the boot params ( pxe ): - no difference with livecd iso image.

append initrd=gparted/0.21.0-1/live/initrd.img boot=live union=aufs config noswap locales="en_US.UTF-8" noprompt vga=791 fetch=hxxp://10.0.0.111:10480/pubb/gparted/0.21.0-1/filesystem.squashfs

so often I decide to use a quite old GParted v. 0.4.1 :o] via PXE as well...

Thanks,

Mike

Re: vmware ws - GP hangs when framebuffer used

GParted Live is based on Debian Live.  For problems that are shared with Debian Live, we recommend reporting the issue to upstream Debian.  We mostly handle problems specific to GParted.

3 (edited by uzer 2015-03-09 22:09:46)

gedakc wrote:

GParted Live is based on Debian Live.  For problems that are shared with Debian Live, we recommend reporting the issue to upstream Debian.  We mostly handle problems specific to GParted.

Thank you,

Mike

EDIT:  yes - Debian kernel, but you are using 3.16.x, there is no "fb" issue with 3.18

Thanks for the extra note Mike.  With Debian packages our Live maintainer picks these up if they are released in Debian SID when we create another GParted Live image.

5 (edited by XeroX 2015-06-10 15:24:35)

I had the exact same issue on VMware vSphere 6. This happens with Debian and Ubuntu. There is indeed a general problem with the framebuffer with Ubuntu/Debian, but as mentioned there is no framebuffer issue for this problem.

After hours of testing I got two solutions:
1. I accidently hit enter three times after raging about this problem and then it booted. Its an resoultion problem. You can try yourself, let it boot for 30 secs hit three times enter to quickly go through lang selection.
2. Remove kernel paramter vga=xxx and replace it with "nomodeset". Thats it! Works for Clonezilla too!

Cheers

Thanks XeroX for reporting your findings.

As a heads up there is a new release of GParted Live 0.22.0-2.

You're welcome.

This "issue" is still present in 0.22.0-2.

But its a debian/ubuntu issue, I can reproduce that with the stable images on our esx servers.

Cheers

Hopefully upstream debian/ubuntu will have a fix soon.