Topic: GParted (latest) fails to boot on MacBook Pro 11,2

Hello, I have a MacBook Pro 11,2 (Haswell late 2013) model, and I am trying boot the latest version of GParted (gparted-live-0.19.1-1-i486.iso) from a USB flash drive.  Everything seems to go fine until GParted tries to load the video driver for XOrg windowing session.

From what I have gathered this model of MBPr uses the Intel Iris 5200 Pro video graphics.  I know this graphics card is supported using Linux because I am typing this message from my Arch Linux install.

Has anyone gotten GParted to boot on a MacBook Pro 11,2?

Re: GParted (latest) fails to boot on MacBook Pro 11,2

GParted Live is based on Debian Live (Testing version also known as SID).  To diagnose if the problem exists upstream, you could download the latest Debian Testing image to see if it works with your computer.

Debian Testing /cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/iso-cd.
If in doubt, try the XFCE image.

There are also some things you can try from the GParted Live Manual - Appendix B: Tips on Booting GParted Live.

gedakc wrote:

GParted Live is based on Debian Live (Testing version also known as SID).  To diagnose if the problem exists upstream, you could download the latest Debian Testing image to see if it works with your computer.

removed link
If in doubt, try the XFCE image.

There are also some things you can try from the removed link Live Manual - Appendix B: Tips on Booting GParted Live

I downloaded, the ISO you recommended, (debian-testing-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso ) edited the grub.cfg file accordingly, and I was able to get to a blue boot screen, but the installation media (USB flash drive), soon complained about missing files, and the screen became red.

blue screen

I stumbled across this thread, https://forums.archlinux.fr/topic15092.html not sure if it's any help.

Well after digging through Xorg.0.log file it appears the model of MBP I have is the one with dual graphics (Nvidia and Intel).

The specs for the machine can be found here

Are you able to temporarily disable one or the other graphics adapters in the UEFI and then boot a live image?

gedakc wrote:

Are you able to temporarily disable one or the other graphics adapters in the UEFI and then boot a live image?

I haven't tried that yet.

I ended up finding another distro that has GParted bundled in it, and was able to finally resize the desired partition. (y a y).  Thanks for the help, and making such a great partitioning tool.

Thanks for reporting back with how you worked around the problem.  Hopefully the problem will be fixed soon in upstream Debian.