1 (edited by fr0zensphere 2014-05-31 01:58:52)

Topic: This should be simple: getting the GParted Live .iso ??

**note: please bear with me to see the links and screen shots

So I start by going to the Live CD/USB tab at the top of the page. I'm here: h
ttp://gparted.org/livecd.php

I see this (screen shot):
h
ttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a393/darussiaman/gparted1_zps3cedf89a.jpg

I click the download link. I get taken here: h
ttp://gparted.org/download.php

I see this (screen shot): h
ttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a393/darussiaman/gparted2_zps0daa84c8.jpg

Great. I have a "newer" computer with UEFI. I want that one, I think. I click the "amd64" link.

I get taken here: h
ttps://packages.debian.org/sid/linux-image-amd64
This is starting to get weird...

I think what I'm looking for is at the bottom under Architecture, the "amd64" link. I try that and I get to a page that says "Download Page for linux-image-amd64_3.14+57_amd64.deb on AMD64 machines".

I don't want a .deb... whatever that is. I want a .iso file. What's going on here?? I don't use Linux, but I would like to get a bootable CD of GParted. If I use Windows am I not able to get an image of the amd64 version of GParted??

Re: This should be simple: getting the GParted Live .iso ??

Did you try on the page
ttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a393/darussiaman/gparted2_zps0daa84c8.jpg
a few line below the place where you clicked, to click on:

Stable directory (.iso/.zip)     to have the actual version, or to click on:

Testing directory (.iso/.zip)    to have the newest testing version?

Maybe you will try?

I don't use Linux, but I would like to get a bootable CD of GParted. If I use Windows am I not able to get an image of the amd64 version of GParted??

GParted runs under Linux, however it is able to work on many filesystems used by various operating systems, including windows.

The download page for the stable versions is there.
Then, open the folder of the version you want (0.18.0-2 for the latest version) and select the iso file to download.
amd64 is valid for 64bit systems with UEFI BIOS, with AMD or INTEL processors.

For the testing versions, the link is this one.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

This thread probably belongs under Meta.

The confusion here is that the Download page on gparted.org, although flat and relatively simple (short; no interactive elements, e.g. drop-downs), it is cluttered, making it somewhat difficult to find which of the several links is appropriate. The blue note near the top (depicted in fr0zensphere's screenshot) is useful for describing the appropriate download, but the links for "Basis" is vague. fr0zensphere assumed that these were links to the downloads for GParted. They are actually links to the different packaged kernels on Debian, which has nothing to do with obtaining GParted or GParted Live (but is probably still useful elsewhere in describing how GParted Live is built).

It isn't clear ("intuitive") for a new user that the download they are looking for may be in a directory on Sourceforge. While it is possible to eventually find what you need from the page as it is, I think it needs to be reorganized/updated, and possibly split into different pages (e.g. by downloading the LiveCD and by installing). Looking at what other projects do for their download page, there is usually:

• (1) a page to first decide which architecture/platform/distribution (if applicable) and then direct to a page clearly emphasizing the corresponding stable download, or

• (2) a page divided clearly by architecture/platform/distribution listing each stable download.

Links for other downloads/all downloads are listed below; "Stable releases" on the current download page has no such emphasis over these.

5 (edited by Ady 2014-07-19 10:22:00)

I tend to think that the problem is not so hard to solve.

When opening
http://gparted.org/download.php
there is a big "Download Links" subtitle, and then a "Note" (in a blue background) that states:

"NOTE:   GParted Live is available in three different architectures"

followed by links.

Please carefully re-read the aforementioned "Note". See the "GParted Live..." words? Specifically, do you see the "... Live..." word? Well, those links are NOT for the *GParted Live* images.

Moreover, the i486 link says "If in doubt, try this one first". A common user having doubts should not be trying that one first, as such user is probably looking for some "GParted Live" ISO (or at most, ZIP) download link.

My guess is that most common users don't even read all this, much less the next section of the page (where the links for the Live images are located).

My suggestion would be to re-arrange the page, posting the GParted Live section (with the respective links) before the other information/links (to packages), and to correct the notes/texts to clearly differentiate links to packages, links to additional information, and links to download GParted Live images.

Regards,
Ady.

Thank you everyone for expressing your concerns about the download page.  In an effort to make it easier for users to find the download links I have removed the debian live architecture links from download page.

With the GParted web site, we try to make it usable to as broad an audience as possible including all browsers including text based ones such as lynx.  This means that we avoid using javascript for site navigation.

Please let me know what you think of the change and if you have other suggestions.