Topic: Automatic DHCP?

I think it is very helpful that the Gparted Live CD includes an integrated web browser.  As I've learned however, it is utterly useless unless and until one manually configures one's network connection(s)... a fact that only becomes apparent after one attempts to use the web browser.

The specific machine where I typically run the Gparted Live CD has two hardwired twisted pair interfaces, one of which is always connected to my local router and the other of which is never connected to anything.  Thus, one of these always has "connected" physical ink status and the other one always has "disconnected" physical link status.

In such a setup, I wonder what the downside would be if the standard startup routines that are integral to the Gparted Live CD simply attempted to initiate DHCP, automagically and by default, on the one and only "live" network interface card.  Wouldn't something like that tend to make life simpler for n00bs?

Re: Automatic DHCP?

Good question ronbaby.

In the message about GSmartControl you mentioned that another distro did not boot up as fast as GParted Live.  It is possible that this is because GParted Live does not automatically activate networking.

I will check with our Live image maintainer.

Re: Automatic DHCP?

Automatic DHCP will not be implemented.

steven wrote:

I do not think it's a good idea. Not all the network environment provides DHCP service. Therefore in that case, GParted live will have to wait for timeout when booting. Actually if a user really need that, remove "ip=" in the boot parameters, as described in GParted Live boot parameters.

I agree with Steven's assessment.