1 (edited by j_yzhu 2006-10-14 16:09:53)

Topic: [SOLVED]Window XP does not boot after resize parttition

I have a HP system with Window XP running on it. I have decided to install Fedora on it.
After searching around internet and I found a post here suggestiong to use gparted livecd to
resize and partition. The system had two partitions, one is main one with all the window XP
stuff (type nfts?) and another is restore partition with type fat32.

I download gparted image and burned a CD, it started and then would not response to my
wireless keyboard and mouse, after several trys, I figure it might not recongnise the keyboard,
I unplug a keyboard and mouse from my other PC and plug it on, OK, it worked fine.

Before I use gparted liveCD, I did defragement and and XP only used about 12 GB, the total size
of the partition was something like 230 GB, I decide to give XP something like 60 GB, I also
move the restore partition D to the position directly after C (nfts), after thant I gave a extended partition
four logical partitions for linux.

After click Apply, the program works a while and I noticed it spent most of time moving the restore partition
(D: fat32). I shutdown after partition was completed and let it boot up. It just hang and window XP just refused
to boot up. I tried to restore the system, it would not work either.

Anyway, I thought I installation fedora might make it work, I installed Fedora 5 without any problem.
It does not help to get my Window XP back. I have Fedora running but I have lost my Window XP,
can anyone advise me what I may have done wrong and what can I do to get my window XP running
as well.

Many thanks.

Jim HU

Re: [SOLVED]Window XP does not boot after resize parttition

Boot with a bootable CD & inspect if your XP partition is set as active or not. Resizing of the NTFS partitions ia dicey affair at the least & a major hassle otherwise. Try Paragon or Acronis to see the status of your MBR & recover your partitions.

I don't recollect which one but one of the Linux distros would not install unless the partition was already preformatted. I want to use gparted for formatting a partition to Linux file system. I can use Parition magic but it is too tedious & cumbersome.

Because of these problems I use a third party boot & partition manager. I resize & move partitions all the time. Never lost an OS,  EVER.  However it can only create ntfs & linux partitions (marked as& identified as such) but can not create the file system on them.

3 (edited by j_yzhu 2006-10-14 08:15:53)

Re: [SOLVED]Window XP does not boot after resize parttition

OK, I have fixed the problem by using testdisk. The procedure is

(1) Download testdisk from www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download
(2) run testdisk (linux version) as root;
(3) Select Advanced option
(4) Select Boot
(5) Select Rebuild BS
(6) Type Y

Done. I shutdown my system and let it reboot, chose window XP, it booted up and do chkdsk,
it reboot twice.

How to Mark the problem SOLVED?

Jim Hu wink