Topic: Mouse and Keyboard do not work when booting from Hard Disk

As of GParted Live version 0.11.0-10, everything worked great. I boot using eSATA (Tools/Utilities Disk) with the following config.sys:

switches=/f /e
dos=high,umb,auto

[menu]
menuitem=UBCD4Win, UBCD4Win 3.60 Updated 2012-02.
menuitem=PMAGIC, Parted Magic Version 2012-11-30.
menuitem=GPARTED, GParted Live Version 0.11.0-10.
menuitem=NOEM, Start Computer with No EMM386 and With Tools CD.
menudefault=NOEM,30
menucolor=7,0

[UBCD4Win]
device=grub.exe --config-file="color black/cyan yellow/cyan;timeout 0;default 0;title find and load NTLDR of Windows NT/2K/XP;find --set-root /ntldr;chainloader /ntldr"
DEVICE=c:\dos7\himem.sys /testmem:off /VERBOSE
DEVICE=c:\dos7\emm386.exe

[PMAGIC]
device=grub.exe --config-file="root (hd0,0);kernel /boot/pmagic/bzImage root=/dev/sda1 directory=/boot edd=off load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 rw vga=normal loglevel=9 max_loop=256;initrd /boot/pmagic/initrd.img"

[GPARTED]
device=grub.exe --config-file="root (hd0,0);kernel /live-hd/vmlinuz boot=live config union=aufs noswap noprompt vga=788 ip=frommedia live-media-path=/live-hd bootfrom=/dev/sda1 toram=filesystem.squashfs;initrd /live-hd/initrd.img;boot"

[NOEM]
DEVICE=c:\dos7\himem.sys /VERBOSE
DEVICE=c:\dos7\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:mscd001
FILESHIGH=30
BUFFERSHIGH=15
stacks=9,256
lastdrive=z

Upon upgrading to version 0.14.0-1, by copying the "Live" directory from the zip download to my "live-hd" directory on the hard disk, the keyboard and mouse no longer work once the GParted program can be seen on the screen. The Keyboard did work to select the language and such. I have also tried versions 0.12.1-5, 0.13.1-2, and 0.14.1-1 with the same results. I even tried copying the "isolinux" and "syslinux" directories from the version 0.14.1-1 zip download to my hard disk. Still, same problem. Burning version 0.14.1-1 iso to CD and booting from that (Much slower!!!) does work correctly!

I am interested in the new LVM2 features, so any help in solving this would be appreciated.

Re: Mouse and Keyboard do not work when booting from Hard Disk

"the keyboard and mouse no longer work once the GParted program can be seen on the screen", "Burning version 0.14.1-1 iso to CD and booting from that (Much slower!!!) does work correctly!" -> This is interesting... Is your machine booting from uEFI or BIOS?

Steven.

stevenshiau wrote:

"the keyboard and mouse no longer work once the GParted program can be seen on the screen", "Burning version 0.14.1-1 iso to CD and booting from that (Much slower!!!) does work correctly!" -> This is interesting... Is your machine booting from uEFI or BIOS?

Steven.

The Computer in question uses a ASRock Z68 PRO3-M motherboard which does use uEFI (and yes the mouse does work in the bios).

Other PC Info:
G.Skill F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL Memory
Intel BX80623I72600K CPU
HIS HD 4670 Video Card
LG Electronics WH12LS30 DVD Drive
WD6000HLHX Hard Disk
LITE-ON SK-1788/BS PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard
Microsoft X802382 Optical USB Wired Mouse

So what other info would help solve this?

Thanks in advance,
MYam

I found a similar issue when trying Clonezilla live on VMWare WS uEFI mode (by adding "firmware=efi" in the *.vmx file).
In the booting menu of grub 2, if you wait for the countdown (30 secs) to be finished, i.e. without pressing any key during countdown, then keyboard works.
However, the GParted live is not ready for uEFI booting, so I am sure you are using the BIOS mode.
This also reminds me that, GParted live should be ready for uEFI booting. I will add that recently.

Steven.

5 (edited by MYam 2012-12-19 22:31:59)

stevenshiau wrote:

I found a similar issue when trying Clonezilla live on VMWare WS uEFI mode (by adding "firmware=efi" in the *.vmx file).
In the booting menu of grub 2, if you wait for the countdown (30 secs) to be finished, i.e. without pressing any key during countdown, then keyboard works.
However, the GParted live is not ready for uEFI booting, so I am sure you are using the BIOS mode.
This also reminds me that, GParted live should be ready for uEFI booting. I will add that recently.

Steven.

OK, problem has been exposed! I was able to get GParted Live version 0.14.1-1 working, but something is not kosher.

I have now found out GParted Live version 0.14.1-1 will work correctly, if I unplug the computers internal hard disk and then boot with only the eSATA hard disk connected. After it is up and working, I can plug in the internal hard disk and rescan devices to work on it. Not a solution having to open the PC case.

Also, when it fails, it stays at the initial low resolution screen, even the graphical screen. When it works, it switches to a higher resolution screen. This happens about half way before I get to the language selection prompt.

Currently the Internal Hard disk (WD6000HLHX) is connected to AHCI P1 and the eSATA hard disk (Tools/Utilities Disk) is connected to AHCI P3. GParted comes up with the Internal hard disk as /dev/sda, and mouse and keyboard do not work. If I swap which ports the SATA cable are plugged into, so that eSATA hard disk (Tools/Utilities Disk) is connected to AHCI P1 and the Internal Hard disk (WD6000HLHX) is connected to AHCI P3, GParted comes up with the eSATA hard disk  as /dev/sda, and everything works! I can not leave it that way since AHCI P3 is a SATA3 6.0Gbps (needed for SSD when in normal use and not testing software with the WD6000HLHX Hard disk), and AHCI P1 is SATA2 3.0Gbps.

Now it gets interesting. If I replace the Internal hard disk (WD6000HLHX) connected to AHCI P1 with a different hard disk that is just a windows operating system, and keep  the eSATA hard disk (Tools/Utilities Disk) connected to AHCI P3, everything works!!! So what about my WD6000HLHX Hard disk is causing problems? Well, it also has the a copy of "Tools/Utilities Disk" partition mentioned in my first post as its first partition, except that the GParted Live on it is Version 0.11.0-10. If I also update the Internal (WD6000HLHX) Hard disk, connected to AHCI P1, to GParted Live version 0.14.1-1, everything works again!!!

Apparently, during the booting up of GParted Live version 0.14.1-1 on /dev/sdb, it would load something from GParted Live Version 0.11.0-10 on /dev/sda, when it exists, and would fail with no functioning mouse or keyboard.  Why does this happen?

So, although it is working, I would not call it solved.

How do I save/log all the text on the screen during GParted Live's boot up (Not the bios, but the linux stuff)?

Thanks,
Michael

"How do I save/log all the text on the screen during GParted Live's boot up (Not the bios, but the linux stuff)?" -> Some of them are logged in /var/log/, e.g. dmesg and live.log.

Steven.