1 (edited by Preroll 2012-08-15 19:50:56)

Topic: [SOLVED] Re-enable MSFTRES flag?

I'm a newbie so bare with me.

I would like to know if it is possible to manually restore the MSFTRES flag within a partition.  I have a drive that has four partitions and one of them (SDA2), is unknown by GParted but the flag is set as MSFTRES.  Now I know this is the 128MB Microsoft Reserved partition for converting basic to dynamic disks but I don't want Windows to create it from a fresh install.  I want to manually create the four partitions with the correct flags and then do a restore from Clonezilla.  Is this possible or am I way off base here?

Thanks.

Re: [SOLVED] Re-enable MSFTRES flag?

When GParted is used with libparted 2.0 or higher then it can set and remove the msftres flag on a partition.
See Bug 518439 - Removal of msftres flag.

Hence this feature should work with the latest GParted Live image.

I'm using Parted Magic which includes GParted 0.13.1.  However, I still cannot manage flags to get the msfrtes option.  I think I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here.  Sorry for the newbie questions but I'm stuck.

Thanks.

The MSFTRES option is only available with GUID Partition Tables (GPT).  Perhaps you are looking at a drive with the MSDOS Partition Table (MBR)?

You can check by using the "View --> Device Information" menu option to see the partition table type.

gedakc wrote:

The MSFTRES option is only available with GUID Partition Tables (GPT).  Perhaps you are looking at a drive with the MSDOS Partition Table (MBR)?

You can check by using the "View --> Device Information" menu option to see the partition table type.

I think you're right.  The drive that is reporting the partition with the MSFTRES flag is an SSD drive that has GPT tables.  I was looking to recreate the same thing on a regular raw drive.  I'll have to investigate further.

Thanks.

Preroll wrote:
gedakc wrote:

I think you're right.  The drive that is reporting the partition with the MSFTRES flag is an SSD drive that has GPT tables.  I was looking to recreate the same thing on a regular raw drive.  I'll have to investigate further.

Thanks.

Yep...that was it.  It was GPT.  Thanks again!

'Glad to hear that the underlying cause is now known.

To help others searching for answers to similar questions, you can edit the initial post and prefix "SOLVED" in front of the title.