Topic: Can't have more than four partitions?

I have four partitions on my server (one for the RAID, one for Windows, one for spooler, and one for DATA). The DATA was rather substantial in size, and we were running out of room on the Windows partition, so I down-sized the DATA partition by about 30GB. Doing so created 30GB of unallocated space. When I go to create a partition out of the unallocated space, it says that I cannot have more than four partitions. I thought for sure that I could have more. Maybe I'm missing something somewhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Can't have more than four partitions?

Hello smile
No, on one hard drive you can only have four primary or extended partitions !
You could have three parimary partitions and one extended in which you could have as many logical partitions as you want !
Have a look at this : http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

You can have upto 200 primary partitions but you must use an application called BootIT Ng from TeraByteUnlimited. It is a fully functioning  Boot Manager, Partition & Volume manager + cloning & Imaging rolled into one. The best purchase I ever made.

I would suggets you try it out on a different machine then on your production machine. I have been using it for more than 4 years & have never had a problem with it. In fact it has saved my goose on a number of occassions when some ill behaved OS or the other screws up my MBR or deletes my partitions. Have not lost data EVER.

thx for the info smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin

it is just payfull sad
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/purchase.html

Larry
GParted-project Admin

if you create an extended partition you can have as many logical partitions as you need. This info is provided in the same dialog that warns you about this maximum of 4 primary partitions.