1 (edited by gedakc 2011-05-26 18:11:04)

Topic: SOLVED - Reboot error after reformatting a filesystem

Hi,

I resized my 1.5TB (with Windows-7 installed) to make space for "Linux OS" and personal data. I did it using live-USB version of the Gparted, and it worked well. I installed linux and formatted the data space as a different partition during the linux install process. I used Ext3 for this partition. All worked well until here.

Now, I used Gparted on my linux machine to change the formatting of the data-space partition from Ext3 to NTFS. Here, please note that all the partitions are on the same physical hard-drive. That is, when I changed the partition formatting from Ext3 to NTFS, the Linux was running on the same physical hard-drive; but, of course, in a different partition. The formatting worked well, with no error.

Now, when I reboot the linux, it can't boot. It shows some error like difficulty in mounting the linux partition (which, I didn't touch). It asks for a root password to fix the issue, or CONTROL+D key to reboot.

When I choose to fix the issue, what commands should I use?

Or, is there any other way to fix this issue ?

Re: SOLVED - Reboot error after reformatting a filesystem

Since you changed the format of the partition, you will also need to edit the /etc/fstab file in GNU/Linux.  The /etc/fstab file tells Linux details about which file systems to mount.

gedakc wrote:

Since you changed the format of the partition, you will also need to edit the /etc/fstab file in GNU/Linux.  The /etc/fstab file tells Linux details about which file systems to mount.

Thanks, it worked.

I have marked this post as SOLVED.  If you wished to do this yourself you could edit the initial post and prefix SOLVED in front of the title.   smile

gedakc wrote:

I have marked this post as SOLVED.  If you wished to do this yourself you could edit the initial post and prefix SOLVED in front of the title.   smile

Thanks! I will pay attention to that in future.

BTW, after encountering this issue, I think it may be little bit helpful to the users to issue a warning/reminder message, after performing the partition reformatting, about updating the fstab.

To avoid your suggestion being lost, would you be able to either make a post regarding this in the "New Features" forum, or else create a bug report with this new enhancement request?

gedakc wrote:

To avoid your suggestion being lost, would you be able to either make a post regarding this in the "New Features" forum, or else create a bug report with this new enhancement request?

Yeah, I just did. I hope it would get added soon into the new version of the Gparted.

[Feature request]
http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=14882

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***