Topic: problem with HDDs

Firstly, sorry for asking questions which are not directly related to Gparted.

A friend of mine and myself have a similar problem with HDD partitions...

His problem:
My friend has a 320 Gb USB external drive, but Windows detect it as 128 Gb with one partition.
I have also tried with GParted and it detects the HDD with 128 Gb, but no partitions in there.

My problem is similar, i have a 160 Gb internal HDD, with 2 partitions, one is a 120 Gb with WinXP and the other is a 20 Gb partition with Ubuntu Linux. Well, WinXP detects its own partition as 80 Gb, while GParted (Ubuntu) detects it well, with 120 Gb

what is the problem, and how can we solve it?

many thanks

Re: problem with HDDs

Earlier versions of xp and win2000 systems didn't support drives bigger than 128GiB. It was added in later service packs. If this is the case, look at the ms knowledge base about. There are even some intel drivers for this, as far as I know.

I have also tried with GParted and it detects the HDD with 128 Gb, but no partitions in there.

Do you mean that it detects the hard drive as unpartitionned?  Give more details please (Gparted version and a screenshot if possible).

On the second case:
I guess that the partition is really 120GiB big but the filesystem is just 80GiB.
Which is the Ubuntu and Gparted version in that case? Ubuntu 7.04 came with an old and buggy Gparted. Try to install and use a newer version or the latest livecd.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

hello,

For my friendś problem (1st one)
exactly, i tried with Ubuntu 7.04, which had GParted 0.2.5 shipped, and with Fedora Core 8, which had GParted 0.3.3. I will try with latest GParted LiveCd. Both versions sees the HDD unpartitioned, and with a capacity of 128 Gb instead of 320 Gb.
Sorry to say that Hdd is not mine so i cant take any screenshot (however i can tell him to give them to me)

For my problem (2nd one)
i dont understand the difference you say...
The Ubuntu version is the latest one (Hardy, 8.04), which has shipped GParted 0.3.5
And the WinXP is SP2

Try using the Gparted live version, it is much better, than built in gparted.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile … _id=271779

Burn the iso as image

Eyvind -Denmark.
Real men don't backup.....

It happens with some older versions of xp that  systems didn't support drives bigger than 128GiB.So it cant  show actual size of partition greater than the fixed size. This drawback is owercome in the latest packs.

[url=http://www.r4-carta.it/]m3 real[/url]

hostonmark wrote:

It happens with some older versions of xp that  systems didn't support drives bigger than 128GiB.So it cant  show actual size of partition greater than the fixed size. This drawback is owercome in the latest packs.

Yes, this is true for the original xp release. The problem doesn't exist in xp/SP1 and later service packs.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

I have three WD5000AAKS SATA2 drives. All the drives exhibit the same issue. When, I do prolonged file transfers or writing to the disks they timeout or I'll get lots of errors in my event log stating that the drive has bad sectors. I've scanned the drives with various utilities that do not report anything wrong with the drives. I initially thought that this could be a problem with my RAID 0 so I rebuilt the array.