Topic: MiB alignment

Is it possible to get GParted to align to the 1 Mb without having to move the whole partition away and back again?

eg:
By default a pre Windows 7/2008 parttion will be aligned to sector 63 (31.5Kb) but GParted show that it starts on 1Mb,
what you then have to do is align the partition to say 2 or 3Mb wait for the action to complete and then move the partition
back to 1Mb?
Is this correct or is there a way that I can get GParted to move the partition from 63 to 2048 (1Mb) in one opperation?

Re: MiB alignment

In order to minimize situations where GParted would unnecessarily move the start of a partition, GParted will now only move the partition if the "Free space before (MiB)" value is changed.  Hence there is currently not a way to move the partition from sector 63 to sector 2048 in a single step.

Could this be added as feature request to have a tick box that 'forces' a move or alignment (or something of the like)?

My preference is to keep the user interface as simple as possible, and hence I am reluctant to add new controls if there is another way to do the same thing using the existing controls.

Currently GParted does not permit setting the "Free space before (MiB)" value to less than 1 for logical partitions, or for the partition at the very beginning of the disk.  If GParted permitted a user to change this value to 0, then the "align to MiB" option would permit such a move from sector 63 to sector 2048 because the before value would have been changed.

I am thinking of ways to permit this change to "0", since the "align to Cylinder" and "align to MiB" options will protect a user from not reserving enough space to store the Master Boot Record, or Extended Boot Record.

5 (edited by rabievdm 2010-08-29 17:14:30)

I aggree with keeping it simple. The thought was to possible make a tick box availible (if you are not aligned to the current MiB) to force alignment.
a) It would reduce the time by half to get a partition starting on sector 63 to start on 2048 because I dont have to move it past 2048 and then back to 2048. If you align a big'ish system disk this can take hours.
b) It would reduce the risk as with each move there is always a chance of something going wrong.
Anyway just my 2c :)

gedakc wrote:

My preference is to keep the user interface as simple as possible,

hmmm.... easy mode and expert mode can be a useful idea... actually SSD forums speaks about disk alignment and paragon off€r$ to help us for 30 euros... it can be cool to create this kind of well known demand...

if anyone have the correct command line to move ntfs partition i can work to create the bash file 4 this wink