Topic: [SOLVED]fatal server error: no screens found

I've made a Gparted liveUSB flash key and a liveCD on my XP Pro system for use on my Dell XPS M1330 laptop.  Both media, when booted on the laptop, give the same fatal server error:

Fatal server error:
no screens found
X10:  fata IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
casper@debian:~$

What screens are being sought?  What is missing?
Would someone please tell me how to remedy this?

My intention is to delete, resize, and create some partitions in preparation
to install Linux as a dual-boot with the current Vista Business Edition.

TIA,
TimDaniels

Re: [SOLVED]fatal server error: no screens found

More info:

Immediately before the "fatal server error" msg, there is the error line:
[ee] no devices found

My laptop has an nVidia Geforce 8400M GS graphics card.  When Gparted
loads, it asks for various inputs, and I always choose the "beginner" and default
choices.  Some people report changing the "Device" driver name to "vesa" in the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file, but when I use nano to edit this file, I get "permission denied"
when I try to save the change.

TimDaniels

OK, I found out how to link up the proper graphic card driver to the graphic device so the "screens" can be found.  What you want to do is to substitute "vesa" for "nv" as the name of the device driver in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.  You can't do this in the Beginner mode (0).  But you can in the Medium (1) and the Expert (2) modes.  In those modes, when you're asked whether you want to accept the automatically detected graphic parameters, answer "No".  Further on, you'll be asked to select the name of the "graphic interface".  Select "vesa".  This sets the file up properly (with no explicit editing necessary), and eventually the Gparted GUI appears.

TimDaniels

Problem solved.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***