I'm confused with my gparted live (downloaded July 22) experience over the last several days.
I have version 0.90, drives were two 80 gb in a RAID1 configuration with three partitions, two NTFS, 1 Dell maintenance FAT partition. Server 2003 on a Dell PowerEdge.
The idea was to shrink D: and grow C: by resizing D, moving D to the right, then resizing C to fill the space left by moving D.
It just wasn't happening at all as RAID1, with errors within minutes of attempting a resize or a move. I tried Cylinder and Mib.
I then decided to take the SATA drive out of the server's array and put it in a USB 2.0 drive holder. I booted my laptop (very slow laptop, big mistake) and began the move of D. It didn't fail immediately, but it did take it's time, more than 14 hours.
It then said right at the end of the move that there was an error and of course with the live CD, I could not save the error file any where. However, when I quit gparted and relaunched it (not reboot the laptop, just the program) the partition showed as moved.
I then resized the C: partition. It too said the operation was not complete.
I put the drive back into the server and booted up Server 2003. In disk management, the drive size for C was reported properly at 53 gb or so. But in My Computer the drive was shown at its old size before the resize, 29 gb. Seems very likely this is related to the part of the operation which did not complete. There's a mismatch somewhere.
I don't get what I'm doing wrong here. I've looked at FAQs and I don't see errors as specific as mine and I don't see any explanations for what I've been experiencing. Clearly, I must be doing something wrong because I'm not the only person resizing NTFS partitions. Is there some patch I'm missing from the Live CD?
Anybody know the trick to doing this?
Forgot to say that I defraged everything multiple times using Windows and 3rd party tools and deleted the recommended registry key.
Also, please feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong place.
Another edit. Looks like I've found the answer from the God himself in another post:
"Based on your description it appears that the partition size was increased but the file system failed to grow to fill the partition.
To fix this situation, use the "Partition --> Check" option on the partition. This should grow the file system to fill the partition."
The partition check failed. From what I can tell, it seems that it did the dry run okay, but then got to a point in the real resize where there were a lot of "invalid argument" lines and the number "65,535." It also appeared that the program took the choice NOT to proceed with the resize.
I'll keep plowing through the board to see if I can find any answers.