Topic: How to format to XFS

HI chaps

need some help. I have a Drobo that I formatted to ext3

But I really need it to be in XFS. That drobo is connected by sub now.

I have run gparted cd live, but the option to format in XFS format is greyed out.

So when in ubuntu download the xfs.progs

for some reason, it saying I need to label the drive, and to umount the drive to label

could somebody help, Ido not how to   label to be Drobo in the terminal

that drobo has three partition,, the device is dev/sdb
but only sdb3 is ext3 2TB

once the command for label is done

could you please the steps to format the drive to xfs, the command please

mkfs.xfs  -------
tell me what's the command to label that drive it's dev/sdb3

Re: How to format to XFS

A "disk label" is also known as a partition table.  If you write a new disk label to your drive, then all existing partitions will be lost.

To learn how to use the mkfs.xfs command, type the following on the command line:
     man mkfs.xfs

gedakc wrote:

A "disk label" is also known as a partition table.  If you write a new disk label to your drive, then all existing partitions will be lost.

To learn how to use the mkfs.xfs command, type the following on the command line:
     man mkfs.xfs

Thank you,

all the information can be wiped out, I did not the drive to ext3, there's nothing on it.

I want o label the Drive Drobo

could please tell me the command as it's not working for me.

Once the drive is label, will the Gparted Live cd be able to format the drive?

Does GParted recognize the "Drobo" drive and display it in the drop down device selection menu?

If the drive is recognized then you can use the GParted option "Device -> Create Partition Table..." to create a new partition table (also known as a disk label).

Again, this will wipe out all partitions and data that currently exist on the drive, so be sure that this is really what you want to do before proceeding.

gedakc wrote:

Does GParted recognize the "Drobo" drive and display it in the drop down device selection menu?

If the drive is recognized then you can use the GParted option "Device -> Create Partition Table..." to create a new partition table (also known as a disk label).

Again, this will wipe out all partitions and data that currently exist on the drive, so be sure that this is really what you want to do before proceeding.

Thanks it does see the Drobo, and really appreciate it. It's done now, just created new parition, and then formatted to XFS.

Thanks you again