Topic: Gparted wont load on HP Compaq

Gparted wont load on HP Compaq 6715b.

Could be a problem with videocard/driver,  GParted should work anyway? It asks to manually set videocard, but I can't.
All the other extras programs seem to load, but not GParted.....

Re: Gparted wont load on HP Compaq

Can you give more details, please?
Do you run which version?

Are you asked to run Forcevideo? You enter "Forcevideo" in the command line and press enter. Then you enter the video card type from the list and resolution.
I find that this computer has a ATI Radeon video card.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

3 (edited by EspenH 2008-02-06 10:03:57)

Hi

(the reason why I want to use Gparted is to allocate a separate partition in order to install XP on the machine which has already Vista installed. May also be an option to install Linux)

GParted 0.3.4-7 (written on welcome screen) GNU GRUB v. 0.97
There are lots of options, I've tried them all (also the three different HP laptop options)Since I live in Norway, I choose keymap=27 and language=20.

During the program configuration I notice there is written for Videocard: ATO Technologies Inc Unknown device 791f. Else [ok] for all.

When entering Forcevideo I first got no response (bash:FORCEVIDEO:command not found), BUT today :-) I received a list of options, and chose VESA, and selected the x724 resolution. Then I received error messages: (lot of text, then "Failed to load module "VESA" (module does not exist, 0), "Failed to load module "synaptics" (module does not exist, 0) No drivers availaible. Fatal server error . no screens found. Fatal IO error 104......

The graphics card is actually ATI Radeon X1250

I'll see if I manage to run the FORCEVIDEO again... and will enter ATI Radeon....

Edit: I tried both ATI and Radeon options, but unfortunately received the same error messages...

Forcevideo is case sensitive, no FORCEVIDEO.
The resolution for VESA may be something like 1024x768 or 800x600.

There is a case that this laptop isn't fully supported by the 0.3.4-7 version, so you can try one of the late versions, 0.3.4-11 or -10.

(Topic moved to the Live media section).

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

yeah, I recognized its case sensitive, but still did not work on the 1024x768. will try 800x600.
I thought I downloaded the latest version??? Will see if I can trace version .3.4-11 or -10.
Will report back.

Downloaded the version 0.3.4-11, build date 28. november 2007, however I didn't get much further... I can run Forcevideo (tried both ati and radeon) , I get asked for resolution but none of the options starts gParted...

I get the following messages:
(II) Module already built in
(EE) Failed to load module "synaptics" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No device detected

Fatal server error:
no screens found
X10:fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
        after 0 requests ( 0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

7 (edited by Zade 2008-02-06 16:50:07)

Hi,

i have the same Problem with identic Error Messages on my HP Compaq 6715b.
I tried VESA and other Graphic Card Drivers. Only the Error Messages change a little bit.

Greetings

Will there be any further solution to this problem?

Anyone else experiencing this problem on other machines, and have a solution?