Topic: software raid support on USB drives?

Hi guys,

I'm a complete linux newbie but I have an eeePC I bought with the sole purpose of modding.

What I'd like to do is mount some internal USB drives to increase storage.
Then I thought, why not push the boat out and instead of getting 1x16GB thumbdrive, get 4x4GB USB thumbdrives, mounted on a USB hub and use raid0 (in software) to get the same 16GB of storage with a decent bit of speed first.

I realise it'd be almost impossible to boot from the USB raid directly, but I was thinking I could use the internal 4GB SSD that comes with the eee as a boot drive to load the support for the software raid0 and USB and then boot eeeXubutu or similar from the raided usb drives.

My friend mentioned Gparted and how cool it was and this gave me a glimmer of hope. Having scanned through the features page I saw no sign of software raid support however.

I'm hoping, if it isn't possible with gparted, one of you may be able to point me in the right direction??

Thanks in advance. smile

Re: software raid support on USB drives?

bumpety bump. smile

Re: software raid support on USB drives?

I think that the livecd doesn't support software raid (this info is quite old, nevertheless). I found in the topic database the idea to resize each drive separately and then recreate the raid. In this case, I don't know at all if the data will remain on the new array or no.

In any case, you could submit this issue to the "Features requested" section. Gparted enters now to a new development phase. smile

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***