Topic: missing disk space?

hi,

i use ubuntu 6.06 and have installed gparted. the version is 0.1

i have a 320 GB seagate IDE drive in ICYBOX usb enclouser.

gaprted found it without a problem. i formated the partition with disklabel "msdos" and ext3 filesystem.
so one big partition. after formating gparted showed that there was 4.8 GB in use but i can't find what is using this space.

after mounting it showed that there is 278 GB free space (before formating it was something like 298 GB which is ok considering that 1GB isn't 10

Re: missing disk space?

please, please, use the last livecd version !!! The actual verison is 0.3.1, and you are talking about a pretty old version ; many bugs have benne fixed, and many features enabled...
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/index.php

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

LarryT wrote:

please, please, use the last livecd version !!! The actual verison is 0.3.1, and you are talking about a pretty old version ; many bugs have benne fixed, and many features enabled...
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/index.php

used the 0.3.1 livecd with same results.
still missing 4.87 GB of space after formating.
any idea?

No idea about that.
Plors : do you have any ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

well i'm trying to create a storage usb disk so maybe you could suggest some other robust/nice/cool filesystem. mostly for movies, music and anime

hmmz the missing 15 GiB was explainable, because reserved space takes about 5% of the available space, but since you disabled that i'm not sure where that 4.8 GiB went. It would be interesting to find out, maybe you can take it to the ext2/3 developers?

Also, i don't think it's wise to disable the reserved space, from the manpage:
              This avoids fragmentation,  and  allows  root-owned
              daemons,  such  as syslogd(8), to continue to function correctly
              after non-privileged processes are prevented from writing to the
              filesystem.

of course you could lower the default size (5%) a bit, but setting it to 0 isn't a good idea smile