Topic: "bridge" partition: NTFS or Ext3 or FAT23?

Hi all (first post!).

I'm a new Linux user (Ubuntu distro) and I'm trying to set an optimal dual-boot (but maybe multi-boot in the near future).

Hope my next question isnt totally off-topic... but i'm really interested for the advice of people who really knows about partitions and file-systems.

One thing that concerns me is:
I want to share my Thunderbird profile among Ubuntu and WinXP. Right now, the profile is in an NTFS partition.
Now, I have three options:

* move the profile to a "bridge partition" in FAT32 (readable/writeable from both systems).
* keep it in the NTFS partition and use the ntfs-3g driver to read and write from Linux.
* move it to a Ext3 partition and use the FS Driver to write on it from Windows

Please, could you share the pro/cons of each one?
ie:which one is more future-proof? which one is more reliable? which one has more performance? etc.

Thanks in advance and excuse my english.

Re: "bridge" partition: NTFS or Ext3 or FAT23?

The best is surely to try each solution, and post back what you thing about all of the three wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

i've never done anything like this. Usually people do stuff like this using networkshares, because this also allows you to access the data from other machines.

Hi Larry and plors. Thanks to both for replying.

I think I would go with the FAT32 bridge solution.

What I haven't decided yet is which software will I use for repartitioning: Partition Magic (the known) or GParted  (the unknown!)

Thanks again.

be very carefull about PM from pqi : it tells he wants to corrige some problems on linux partitions, but in fact he dmakes a big mess !!!!! sad
But if you only use windose toys, , os it's up to you smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)