1 (edited by perimere 2006-09-25 16:04:04)

Topic: GParted 0.1 on Ubuntu 6.06 (64-Bit) Resize fails ...

Hi,

Apologies if this has been solved in the newer version, but I haven't had chance to test yet.

I installed the gparted that is available as part of Dapper Drake. I have a Rocket Raid card, with a RAID 5 array, which I just extended to include a new 500GB disk.

In gparted I tried to resize my /dev/sdb1 partition (ext3) from 1.0TB, to 1.5TB. However when I click apply I see that it doesn't see the new size correctly. It reports that it's resizing to -666566MB.

After several minutes the dialogue disapears. The gparted main window is displayed, with the parition remaining as it was previously.

Are there any known issues regarding size limitations that gparted can handle?

I tried to boot the gparted live disc, however the raid controller is not detected. I have patched the kernel (I'm running 2.6.17.13) with the drivers required for the card, so I don't happen to have the modules handy to try and load in the live CD.

I will attempt to install gparted 0.3.1 this evening to see if the same issue persists.

Cheers

perimere

Re: GParted 0.1 on Ubuntu 6.06 (64-Bit) Resize fails ...

sorry, after reading the versionnumber i skipped the rest of your post. Please try with our latest livecd (0.3.1-1) and report back.

thnx!

Perhaps if you had checked the rest of the post you'd have observed that the Live CD was unable to recognise the RAID controller.

You took the time to respond, but not read the post? Yeah, useful.

I just looked up the dependancies required to compile the 0.3.1 from source as the initial pass failed (needed Perl modules).

I'll post back my findings once I get chance to test on the new version.

i suggested you should try our livecd, it has everything installed. You should realize i can't support all those older versions on livecd's we didn't create.

see http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php for more info.

5 (edited by perimere 2006-09-27 12:54:20)

Plors,

I have the livecd and the controller is NOT recognised. I don't currently have the module drivers for the RAID card available so the live CD isn't providing the solution here.

I just tried compiling the gparted 0.3.1 source, but receieved the following error:
"XML::Parser perl module is required for intltool"

[edit:] The error is generated when running ./configure - to clarify.

I have installed the libgtkmm-2.4-dev package available from the ubuntu repository, however checking with the FAQ it seems that 2.8 is needed.

Is there a debian/ubuntu gparted repository available that can be added to my sources.list? In the documentation section of this site, it alludes to one being available but I didn't see anything that detailed the information required.

i don't know about the various distros (using gentoo myself) but i think this question should be easily answered on the website/forums of your distro.

what exactly do you mean by 'I have patched the kernel (I'm running 2.6.17.13) with the drivers required for the card, so I don't happen to have the modules handy to try and load in the live CD.' ?

You don't know which modules to select in the livecd startup custom module selection? If that's the case you should just check your kernel setup on which driver you are using. Or simply try all of them wink

Plors,

I will check the Ubuntu forums for more info, I just figured I would be more successful here.

In regards to patching the kernel, I had two options when installing the drivers for the RAID card: 1) build modules, 2) patch the kernel source. I elected to patch the kernel source.

Loading the modules on the LiveCD could well be my misunderstanding, I am used to Windows, which quite frequently requires you to provide your own drivers when you are trying to do stuff. From your last post I presume that in actual fact the modules are on the CD, and I just need to pick the one I believe will work for my hardware.

With that in mind Ill boot it up when I get home, and see if theres a Module for a High Point RocketRAID card on there smile

Cheers

perimere

Booted off the LiveCD 0.3.1 this evening. Basically selected ALL SATA modules (yup, the whole list), and also included the RAID 5 module from the RAID list (just tobe sure).

Unable to see the disk when the LiveCD booted up, so a dead end there.

I'll now go back to the manual install of 0.3.1 source and see if I can progress that.