Topic: Failure to boot - freezes at "io scheduler cfq registered"

I am using GParted Live CD version 0.3.4-10 on usb stick. I have no trouble booting this usb stick with a Dell M60 Precision laptop with the "(boot off External-usb-cd : /dev/sr0)" option. But when I boot from my new Fujitsu laptop the computer freezes at "io scheduler cfq registered".

The laptop has an Intel Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB) with NVIDIA GeForce 8400M video apapter at 1680x1050 resolution. (It also has a serial port and parallel port, if that info is needed)

I have also tried a version 0.3-9 CD with all options, and get the same result.

Although if I use the "HP laptop pci=conf2" option the machine boots OK, but there are no pci devices found. (lspci gives no output) Also I must use Forcevideo to get the x server working in this mode of booting.

Any help here would be appreciated.

kind regards
Graham

Re: Failure to boot - freezes at "io scheduler cfq registered"

My own desktop computer (Core duo @ 2,4Ghz, Asus m/b, 965 chipset), Nvidia graphics is more happy with the versions 0.3.4-5 and  0.3.4-6. Can you try one of them, please? (0.3.4-6)

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

I have the same freeze after "io scheduler cfq registered" problem, also on a Fujitsu Laptop.

The machine I am trying to boot with is a Fujitsu LifeBook A6030: Core 2 Duo T7300, with a Mobile Intel 965 Express video card.

I have tried with both Gparted 0.3.4.11 and Gparted 0.3.4.6, and both do not work.

The machine has a finger print scanner, and a touch pad that doubles as a writing tablet, possibly contributing to this problem.

Other Linux systems have been able to boot this machine in the past, for example the knoppix live CD.

Thanks,
Michael

Is it possible to deactivate these devices from the BIOS?
This kind of devices (and others like wireless network ports) are often internally connected in USB ports.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

I have almost the same computer as mjames, which is a Fujitsu A6030.  This is my new computer and it seems I will give up Centos 5.1 after spending near two weeks I still couldn't solve the 1280x800 problem (don't know it is the intel GM 965 Chipset driver or the X problem ... sorry this is another story). Well, I was intending to use gparted to shrink the Centos 5.1 partion and install OpenSuse or Ubuntu (the live CDs gave really fantatic results). I have never used a LiveCD before, so initially I thought I have burnt the gparted LiveCD incorrectly. But after searching  through the web, I concur with mjames and the gparted 0.3.4-11.iso hangs after the line "io scheduler cfq registered".  May be I should ditch Centos 5.1 and stick to OpenSuse.

This also brings my memory when I tried to install the latest version of Fedora, and the installation gave a blue screen after a little while.  I hope this would not happens with the DVD installation of OpenSuse. I would appreciate the help from some gurus out there !!

Somehow I believe the  BIOS setting of most computers have been pre-set to please the default Windows Vista installation but give painful surprises to even Windows XP, let alone linux distros!

I had the same problem and yes, what I found necessary was choosing one of the other configurations when booting gparted. 

Here's more on the matter -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= … ostcount=3

Furthermore, there are new versions of the livecd since January.