1 (edited by Johan 2006-09-02 18:56:07)

Topic: [SOLVED] does shrink move data first ?

My defrag software does not move all data blocks to the front, but leaves it on the disk where the os placed it.
I have a 10Gb partition, with data in the 9th Gb, and I want to shrink that partition to 8Gb.
A backup is of no help in this, because I don't know what files are in that 9th Gb.
So is the data in the 9th Gb first moved to somewhere in those 8Gb before the partition is shrinked ?

Re: [SOLVED] does shrink move data first ?

luckily for me i have psycic abilities and i know you are talking about an ntfs filesystem tongue

yes, shrink will move data first.

Thank you for confirming, plors.
Does your remark about the filesystem (which is true indeed) mean that shrink does not move data first for all filesystems ?
Or don't Linux systems need any defragmenation ?
Btw, do you incidently know of any free defrag soft that does that (email me this answer please, because I understand it's not really for this forum) ?

fragmenting is only for windose :-p

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

these forums are here to lighten our workload and we ask to stay ontopic because our time is limited, if i would email answers all these advantages would be lost smile

the whole idea of a partitionmanager is to be safe, otherwise it wouldn't make sense to have one. So Yes, in theory you can do anything you want without losing data. Of course it's good practice to make backups of valuable stuff.

linux filesystems don't suffer as much from fragementation as fat and ntfs. afaik there are no tools avaible (or necessary) to do this.

Ok plors, I understand, and fully agree, I should have stayed ontopic.
Thanks for your time guys, and congrats with that great tool.
How can I mark this topic [SOLVED] ?

Johan wrote:

How can I mark this topic [SOLVED] ?

'think you have to edit the first post and change the title ...
could you try, please , to confirm smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Johan, oh i'm sorry if it came across that way. I think your question was just ontopic, so no problems there. smile

9 (edited by Johan 2006-09-01 21:28:07)

plors, I meant I realise my question about free defrag soft, and wanting you to email me personally about it, was not ontopic, that's all, no offense taken, no harm done.
But I think we better close this little conversation about 'being ontopic', because it's not really ontopic !  wink

10 (edited by Johan 2006-09-01 20:14:48)

LarryT, when I get the editing screen for the first reply, there are no means to edit the title.
Maybe we should ask one of the people who already marked a topic as [SOLVED] ?
And then put that info in a sticky topic somewhere in the Rules section for future users.

Johan, you have to edit your first post in this thread, not the first reply.  Then you should be able to edit the thread subject.

Jan, I did use the little Edit button in the righthand corner (between Report and Quote) of the #1 message (= the original I posted).
I can only edit the original messagebody itself, and there's no edit-field for the thread-title.
It's not something in my browser neither, because it's the same under IE6 too (I use Firefox 1.5.0.6).
I think either PunBB lacks this feature, or it's not activated in this forum.

I posted a new topic to test if it would work with the new one (for the case this one was screwed up in some way).
And after returning to the list, and clicking Edit again, it was the same situation.
So it's apparently something that's not active in this forum for the moment (but may have been, because there are a few thread's marked [SOLVED] already, so it has worked before).

Okay, I found the reason: there was a default time limit after which you couldn't edit the topic anymore, I removed that limit.  In my test yesterday I did the change within that limit, that's why it worked for me...

Sorry for the "trouble", but this is the first forum based on punBB that I run, so I'm still learning a bit. :-)

JanC wrote:

Sorry for the "trouble", but this is the first forum based on punBB that I run, so I'm still learning a bit. :-)

hm.... okay, ... for this time !

:-D

Larry
GParted-project Admin