1 (edited by jlsupremo 2021-08-31 12:48:55)

Topic: Flag Boot

Ola, se eu crio uma partição com gparted-live-0.27.0-1 e coloco flag /boot ela funciona, da boot na imagem normal.
mas se eu crio uma partição com gparted-live-1.3.1-1 não funciona, o flag /boot não funciona com essa versão.
https://i.postimg.cc/7ZZ6VZLw/boot.png

Re: Flag Boot

An English translation:
Hi, if I create a partition with gparted-live-0.27.0-1 and flag /boot it works, it boots into the normal image.
but if I create a partition with gparted-live-1.3.1-1 it doesn't work, the /boot flag doesn't work with that version.

You don't explain what "doesn't work" means. Do you mean that despite using the flag management command the flag doesn't appear set?
The system just doesn't boot if you use GParted 1.3.1-1?  GParted doesn't have anything with the bootloader, it just helps into the flag management (otherwise one can set the flag by using some other software, e.g. fdisk).
Please be sure that only one partition has the 'boot' flag set. Linux and grub doesn't care about the 'boot' flag status, nevertheless mswindows (at least the previous versions) needs the 'boot' flag set for 1 partition and only 1.

Nevertheless, I find the following: BIOS / GPT: do we need a 'boot' flag?
According to that, some efi firmware implementations may need the boot flag to boot into legacy mbr mode. In fact, things can be complicated because there are legacy (mbr) and UEFI firmware flavors and legacy or EFI boot modes.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Eu crio uma partição NTFS, marco ela como /boot, e restauro uma imagem do windows via clonezilla, com versão antigas do gparted o flag /boot funciona, nas novas versões do gparted o flag /boot não inicia mais o windows.

como mostra as fotos.
https://i.postimg.cc/7ZZ6VZLw/boot.png

Following is a google translation of the above post:

I create an NTFS partition, mark it as /boot, and restore a
     windows image via clonezilla, with old versions of gparted
     the /boot flag works, in newer versions of gparted the
     /boot flag doesn't start windows anymore.

Restoring the ability to boot windows varies depending upon the version of Windows and how it was installed.  Older versions like XP used the MSDOS Partition Table (MBR) along with BIOS and the boot flag along with boot code in the MBR in order to boot the Operating System.

Newer versions like 10 use UEFI and can take advantage of a separate FAT32 partition that has the ESP and BOOT flags set.  This is usually a separate partition from the C: drive partition and would need to be restored, in addition to ensuring the the UEFI firmware has the proper settings to boot the OS.

Eu estou usando a mesma imagem do clonezilla, processo 100% idêntico em ambos, só muda a versão do gparted, com gparted antigo funciona normal, com versão novas do gparted não funciona.

gedakc wrote:

Following is a google translation of the above post:

I create an NTFS partition, mark it as /boot, and restore a
     windows image via clonezilla, with old versions of gparted
     the /boot flag works, in newer versions of gparted the
     /boot flag doesn't start windows anymore.

Restoring the ability to boot windows varies depending upon the version of Windows and how it was installed.  Older versions like XP used the MSDOS Partition Table (MBR) along with BIOS and the boot flag along with boot code in the MBR in order to boot the Operating System.

Newer versions like 10 use UEFI and can take advantage of a separate FAT32 partition that has the ESP and BOOT flags set.  This is usually a separate partition from the C: drive partition and would need to be restored, in addition to ensuring the the UEFI firmware has the proper settings to boot the OS.

translated-from-jlsupremo wrote:

I'm using the same clonezilla image, 100% identical process on both, just change gparted version, with old gparted it works normal, with new gparted version it doesn't work.

Is this on the same computer?

For example there is nothing else changed other than the GParted version?

Correto, o equipamento é o mesmo, o processo é feito 100% idêntico, vou explicar como é feito 100% do processo.

Eu usava a versão 0.27.0-1 ou 0.17.0-1, mas como ela esta ficando muito antigo passei para as versões mais atuais , 1.3.1-1.

Com gparted (versão 0.27.0-1 ou 0.17.0-1 )crio a partição primaria e marco o flag /boot, restauro a imagem do sistema não importa versão 7,8.1,10 todas funciona normal com versão 0.27.0-1 ou 0.17.0-1.

se fizer o mesmo processo com a versão 1.3.1-1 ela não funciona.

Entende o processo e mesmo 100% idêntico, só muda versão antiga do gparted para versão atual do gparted.

gedakc wrote:
translated-from-jlsupremo wrote:

I'm using the same clonezilla image, 100% identical process on both, just change gparted version, with old gparted it works normal, with new gparted version it doesn't work.

Is this on the same computer?

For example there is nothing else changed other than the GParted version?

From the screen shots in post 3, it appears that the restored data is different.

In the GParted 0.27.0 screen shot it shows /dev/sda is a 60.0 GiB device and the /dev/sda1 partition has 59.93 GiB free.  This partition seems to be lacking enough files to boot Windows.

In the GParted 1.3.1 screen shot it shows /dev/sda also being a 60.0 GiB device.  However here the /dev/sda1 partition has 23.07 GiB free.  Hence this partition may actually contain a Windows C: drive.  This is the one I would expect to boot Windows.

In conclusion these tests appear to show different data.

Can you provide the results of the following commands for each situation?

sudo parted /dev/sda unit s print
sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda
sudo lsblk -o name,maj:min,rm,size,ro,type,fstype,label,mountpoint
blkid

9 (edited by jlsupremo 2021-09-02 21:39:08)

As fotos era somente de exemplo que o flag estava ok, vou fazer todo processo aqui tiro as fotos corretas para você.

https://i.postimg.cc/XqVrLf7Q/02-09-2021.png

gedakc wrote:

From the screen shots in post 3, it appears that the restored data is different.

In the GParted 0.27.0 screen shot it shows /dev/sda is a 60.0 GiB device and the /dev/sda1 partition has 59.93 GiB free.  This partition seems to be lacking enough files to boot Windows.

In the GParted 1.3.1 screen shot it shows /dev/sda also being a 60.0 GiB device.  However here the /dev/sda1 partition has 23.07 GiB free.  Hence this partition may actually contain a Windows C: drive.  This is the one I would expect to boot Windows.

In conclusion these tests appear to show different data.

Can you provide the results of the following commands for each situation?

sudo parted /dev/sda unit s print
sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda
sudo lsblk -o name,maj:min,rm,size,ro,type,fstype,label,mountpoint
blkid

10 (edited by gedakc 2021-09-03 18:12:22)

EDITED POST

Thank you for providing the information.  I had difficulty reading the text in the screen shots.
I was finally able to make out the text content after visiting the postimg.cc web site directly.  Hence it is better to place the text directly in a post with code brackets around it.

When I compare the two gparted version results I did not observe any differences that would cause failure to boot.

Both show that an MSDOS partition table is in use.
Both show the /dev/sda1 partition starting at sector 2048 and ending at sector 83886079.
Both show the boot flag.

Perhaps there is a difference in the way the libparted library sets the boot flag?

Can you try using the GParted Live 0.27.0 image and command line parted to set the boot flag on the restored partition that currently does not boot?

For example:

sudo parted /dev/sda
set 1 boot on
quit

Then test to see if you can boot this restored partition.

https://i.postimg.cc/hGsQn1dC/image.png

Aqui em minha cidade é feriado na proxima semana, então fiz novamente o processo aqui em minha casa identico.
Criado com versão atual, depois de confirmado o não boot, feito os comando com gparted-live-0.27.0-1, mas o resultado é o mesmo, não inicia se foi feito com versão atual do gparted, nem mesmo com os comandos informados, eu já tinha feito esses testes antes mas não via comando e sim na interface grafica, desmarcando o flag /boot e marcando novamente, mas infelizmente isso não funciona.

gedakc wrote:

EDITED POST

Thank you for providing the information.  I had difficulty reading the text in the screen shots.
I was finally able to make out the text content after visiting the postimg.cc web site directly.  Hence it is better to place the text directly in a post with code brackets around it.

When I compare the two gparted version results I did not observe any differences that would cause failure to boot.

Both show the /dev/sda1 partition starting at sector 2048 and ending at sector 83886079.
Both show the boot flag.

Perhaps there is a difference in the way the libparted library sets the boot flag?

Can you try using the GParted Live 0.27.0 image and command line parted to set the boot flag on the restored partition that currently does not boot?

For example:

sudo parted /dev/sda
set 1 boot on
quit

Acabei de descobrir uma coisa problema esta na criação da partição e não no flag /boot

Criei a partição com versão antiga e marquei o /boot com versão atual, depois fiz a restauração da imagem e funciona, então o /boot da versão atual funciona o que esta dando problema é na criação da partição NTFS da versão 0.27 para 1.3.1, o que pode ser a diferença?

jlsupremo wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/hGsQn1dC/image.png

Aqui em minha cidade é feriado na proxima semana, então fiz novamente o processo aqui em minha casa identico.
Criado com versão atual, depois de confirmado o não boot, feito os comando com gparted-live-0.27.0-1, mas o resultado é o mesmo, não inicia se foi feito com versão atual do gparted, nem mesmo com os comandos informados, eu já tinha feito esses testes antes mas não via comando e sim na interface grafica, desmarcando o flag /boot e marcando novamente, mas infelizmente isso não funciona.

gedakc wrote:

EDITED POST

Both show the boot flag.

For example:

sudo parted /dev/sda
set 1 boot on
quit

jlsupremo wrote:

I just found a problem with the partition creation and not the /boot flag

I created the partition with the old version and marked /boot with the current version, then I restored the image and it works, so the /boot of the current version works. , what can be the difference?

To create NTFS partitions GParted uses the libparted library from the parted project to create the partition and then formats the partition as NTFS with NTFS-3G.  This software has also changed since GParted Live 0.27.0 was released 5 years ago.

You might try removing GParted completely, and just use the command line parted and ntfs-3g to determine if the problem still occurs.