Topic: iMac A1195 with Linux formatting question

I have an A1195 with a clean install Linux on it.  I tried to use GParted Live to format the drive back to HFS Extended but having trouble.  Will I need to remove the drive and format it on another computer using GParted, or is there a way simply inserting the cd in this iMac?

Re: iMac A1195 with Linux formatting question

I assume that GParted is running from the active Linux distro on the same hard drive.  If this is the case then you cannot format this active partition.

In order to be able to perform all partition actions, boot from media containing a live distro like GParted Live.

3 (edited by mikrose 2021-08-14 12:04:34)

gedakc wrote:

I assume that GParted is running from the active Linux distro on the same hard drive.  If this is the case then you cannot format this active partition.

In order to be able to perform all partition actions, boot from media containing a live distro like GParted Live.

It is a live cd, maybe I don't understand the other actions well enough?

If I put a Mac Leopard disk in, and boot, will it give you choices to format the drive to Mac OS like  Linux does when you boot from it, and I think Windows does?  The cd hasn't arrived yet to try this, but that's my plan if this Gparted isn't what I think it is.  Will try that again tomorrow.

If your goal is to format the entire drive for use with MacOS then I would think that should be possible by booting from MacOS installation media.  In that case there would be no need for GParted.

Note that I do not use MacOS so you might get better help from a MacOS forum.

Yes, I have been to their forum, thanks for all GParted info, love GP!

gedakc wrote:

If your goal is to format the entire drive for use with MacOS then I would think that should be possible by booting from MacOS installation media.  In that case there would be no need for GParted.

Note that I do not use MacOS so you might get better help from a MacOS forum.